Author Topic: Cyradon RMC?  (Read 23265 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cyradon RMC?
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
It will likely be both a PDF and a book.  ;D

I just finished editing the chapter on magic. That was a HUGE chapter -

• 55 pages in Microsoft Word.
  • 114 Spell Lists (to 10th level) from various sources (Spell Law, EAs, RoCoI even contributed a couple). Lists are divided into Open, CLosed, Base (all base together). Full spell lists (to 50th level) will be in an expansion book, possibly with additional spell lists.
  • Many Spell Lists have had the blanks filled in (like for RMSS/FRP).
  • 1 Generic Folio* of spell lists for each of the magic using professions (Folios listed in Profession section).
  • 3 Specific Priest Folios & 2 alternate Champion Folios (in Cosmology Chapter, not Magic Chapter)
  • 4 Mage Folios & 4 Mentat Folios from Anias
  • 4 Mage Folios & 4 Mentat Folios from Cyradon
  • Information on various casting styles.
  • Information on Magical Guilds/Orders

* = A Folio is (if you haven't gotten EA #9 (IIRC)) a group of spell lists from which the character may select his Base Lists. For RMC Cyradon, each Pure spell user gets to select 8 Base Lists from a Folio of 15 Spell Lists, plus any Open or Closed Spell Lists for his realm (i.e. 12-15 spell lists). The Folio themselves may contain spell lists from other realms.

For example, the Open Channeling Spell List, Concussion's Ways (the equivalent of the Minor Healing spell from HARP) is on most of the Folios for the different orders, regardless of profession/realm because magical healing in Cyradon is so prevalent. However, the spell list, Life Mastery, isn't in the book at all because life giving is extremely rare (and thus requires much more than just a spell list).

Offline vilor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »
I have extremely high hopes for this product (having played RM for over 20 years and loving the HARP Cyradon book), so many thanks for the update. I know estimates of product completion and release are not reliable, but any hint as to when would be greatly appreciated! Also, have you considered putting a 'beta' version out on pdf first similar to what was done for Combat Companion?

Regardless be assured that as soon as it goes up for sale I'll be ordering this for sure!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2009, 02:10:54 PM »
 Rasyr,
 Thanks for the update and preview on whats going on with the RMC Craydon project.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »
We have actually had this in playtesting for a while now.

We followed the rule of "change the system to match the setting", which means that RMC Cyradon will possibly seem like a slight meshing of RMC and HARP because RMC Cyradon has redone all of the races, making them more balanced against one another, it has Training Packages, and Talents, etc.. (in fact, many of the changes made to the system for RMC Cyradon can be found the various issues of Express Additions).

As for doing a Beta, I don't know.

I am hoping to finished with the editing phase in a couple of weeks as I am now past most of the hard stuff (mixing RM and Cyradon), and what is left is chapters that are either pure RMC/RMX rules or pure Cyradon flavor material (i.e. no system material).

The only chapter that will require extra attention will be the one explaining combat, as we are changing the attack tables a good bit, and adding in a new crit table (the combat tables are all based on the ones found in RMX), and then just adding in whatever is required to make things run smoothly.

I got sidetracked for most of this week, making tables for another project that Sherry is working on pagemaking. But I will be back to RMC Cyradon full swing come Monday.

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »
Excellent 
Reading the "preview" you gave only made my expectations higher  :wave:

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »
Is this the same combat system that was in the Combat Companion?  If so, I'm going to toss that section right out the window.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
Is this the same combat system that was in the Combat Companion?  If so, I'm going to toss that section right out the window.

No, not really. It is heavily based on the RMX combat tables (same table names, same attack tables, basically). The attack tables will have an additional column for Scale armor (i.e. the columns are None, Soft Leather, Reinforced Leather, Chain, Scale, & Plate (like the tables found in HARPer's Bazaar #11)). However, one of the things being considered is altering them so that the damages follow a more linear progression (i.e. crits start sooner on lower Armors, but plain hit damage starts sooner on the higher armors) which is one of features from the Combat Companion system.

The armor rules are simplified, and are designed for use WITH the attack tables. You have the armor for each type which covers check, back, abdomen, and groin. You can add helm, pauldrons, bracers, and greaves. Each of these items adds to your DB. For example, Plate armor with a metal helm, pauldron, bracers, and greaves with provide you with a total of +16 to your DB (of course, you also have to deal with maneuver penalties, a quickness penalty, etc..)

Helms can be soft leather, reinforced leather, or metal
Pauldrons can be reinforced leather or metal
Bracers and Greaves can be leather, reinforced leather, or metal

In addition to small DB modifiers, these pieces can also affect critical results to some minor degree.

For the critical tables, they will be like those found in RMX, though we will be adding a column for MA Strikes (Unbalancing for Sweeps, and Grappling for those MA styles).

Yes, RMC Cyradon will have Combat Styles - and all of these styles are already pre-made and priced (they have their own DP Cost table). Some of them get special maneuvers, some do not.

Note: The armor and combat rules for RMC Cyradon are for each other. i.e. If you change to using the Combat Companion tables, you will need to change to the Combat Companion armor rules. If you decide to change to the Arms Law combat tables, you should use the AT system found in Arms Law.

To whet your appetite a bit more... I have attached 3 images below. They are as follows:

1) Generic Mage Folio - Shows the Spell Lists available as Base Lists to a generic Mage (i.e. he does not belong to a specific guild organization, casting tradition or racial group (yes, some Folios can be racially based, for example, the only Gryphons can get access to the Usirae Folio)

2) Generic Mentat

3) Cealla Folio -- This folio is available to only those of the Cealla casting tradition (which requires casters to collect and keep a bag of spell components (casting can be done without the components, but it costs more PP) chosen (IIRC) for their hue or color.

As you can see, the Folios can have spell lists from other realms in them. There are 7 other sets of Folios for the Mage & Mentant in the Magic chapter, basically giving you a choice of 9 different Mages or 9 different Mentats.

Granted, other choices made will limit which Folios you can use. For example, if you decide to play a Nagazi, your choices are the Default/Generic Folio and the Nagazi Folio.

If you play a Human, you can choose the Generic, the Drei, the Cealla (which would be rare, since it is Sithi mostly), or the Mage's Guild Folios

And all this was done to make it possible for a RMC Cyradon game to have close to the same feel as a HARP Cyradon game.

As I have always said, the rules should be changed to reflect the setting, the seetting should not be changed to reflect the rules.

RMC Cyradon is an example of this axiom.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:48:20 AM by Rasyr »

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
Aaah that's really cool  8)

Offline vilor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »
Many thanks for the previews! Whilst I'll likely reserve judgement on the armour rules (love my Arms Law too much), I really love the folios - particularly the fact that there is both a mage and mentat folio for at least the Cealla tradition. Hopefully the other traditions are the same too?

How about the semi-spell users? Are there separate traditions for them too? For example, does the Pascalline order have the same base lists as the standard Elemental Warrior? (assuming that class to be the RMC equivalent of the Warrior Mage one from HARP)

What about religious orders like the Lightbringers? Are the Firebrands a Priest or Champion variant?

I shall definitely be ordering this as soon as a pre-order arrives on the website!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »
Many thanks for the previews! Whilst I'll likely reserve judgement on the armour rules (love my Arms Law too much),

And if you prefer Arms Law, all you have to do is to offer the core armors instead of the way that RMC Cyradon does it. And then use Arms Law. Just remember, it is armor AND combat tables.

RMC Cyradon will have the RMX-like system because RMC Cyradon is a stand-alone book. It will not require any of the other core RMC books for play. (Well, you might want the RMC Cyradon Grimoire, since it will have the spell lists to 50th level).

I really love the folios - particularly the fact that there is both a mage and mentat folio for at least the Cealla tradition. Hopefully the other traditions are the same too?

In addition to the Generic Mage and the Generic Mentat, there are 8 traditions, and each of those traditions has its own Mage and Mentat Folios. As stated above, no one character will have access to all 9 Folios, which Folios you can select from depends upon race, culture, and tradition.

How about the semi-spell users? Are there separate traditions for them too? For example, does the Pascalline order have the same base lists as the standard Elemental Warrior? (assuming that class to be the RMC equivalent of the Warrior Mage one from HARP)

There are Generic Elemental Warriors, and then there are Elemental Warriors who belong to the Pascaline Order. There is no difference in their spell list options, for these guys the difference is in the casting style/traditions used.

(yes, you could have an Elemental Warrior of the Cealla Tradition and one of the Usirae Tradition, and while they might have the same basic lists, their methods of casting would be very different.

Now, the Ranger and the Gherek Scouts have different Folios, and the Venturer Clerks (Venturers) have their own Folio which contains some Channeling/Ranger-type lists that are not available to the generic Venturer.

What about religious orders like the Lightbringers? Are the Firebrands a Priest or Champion variant?

Firebrands are Champions, and have different Folio than the Lightbringers.

I shall definitely be ordering this as soon as a pre-order arrives on the website!

Glad to hear it.  ;D

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »
So how are things shaping up ? 1 month, 2 months or more ?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2009, 03:17:05 AM »
Well, I just finished my main go-throughof the manuscript.

On Monday, I will turn it over to my boss, and then we will see where it goes from there.

It could be less than a month, it could be more, depending on how long certain things take to get accomplished (boss' editorial pass, pagemaking, proofing, any needed rewrites, etc...).

Cannot really give a time frame - however, as I pointed out at the top of this post, progress has been made and a major milestone has just been completed.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2009, 11:44:57 AM »
I'm very interested in this, although I just purchased Cyradon for HARP, I might have to give Cyradon for RM a go too...
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
It is, indeed, awesome!
 ;D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
Progress !! Great !  :)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »
That said I'd prefer if ICE would do this for Shadowworld as well as I prefer the setting.Plus it would be a great intro to RM & SW for those who might be hesitent to buy the RMC core books & SW master atlas .I'd buy a RMX/Shadoworld book if ICE published it.That's my $0.02  ;) 
Seconded!

Bundling an updated version of RMX plus additions with a Shadow World sourcebook seems like a good idea that could benefit both RM and SW.
I hear there is a sourcebook in the works right now, called Emer III...
Maybe you could even consider bundling RMX with Emer I+II+III, if Terry Amthor agreed.
With updated RMX spell lists to at least level 20, and maybe somewhat higher character stats... should work.

Anyway, the word "Kulthea" sounds so much better than "Cyradon" ;)

See Rasyr ..it can be done ...give us a RMX/SW game. See if Terry can write a brief overview of the setting & either update Jaiman or a overview of Jaiman with a update of Haalkitaine. Include the EA with the SW races & rules.That would be small enough & give a teaser to the RMC rules & SW. If people like it they can then order the RMC core books & SW Master Atlas n' PDFs.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
Many thanks for the previews! Whilst I'll likely reserve judgement on the armour rules (love my Arms Law too much),

And if you prefer Arms Law, all you have to do is to offer the core armors instead of the way that RMC Cyradon does it. And then use Arms Law. Just remember, it is armor AND combat tables.

RMC Cyradon will have the RMX-like system because RMC Cyradon is a stand-alone book. It will not require any of the other core RMC books for play. (Well, you might want the RMC Cyradon Grimoire, since it will have the spell lists to 50th level).

I really love the folios - particularly the fact that there is both a mage and mentat folio for at least the Cealla tradition. Hopefully the other traditions are the same too?

In addition to the Generic Mage and the Generic Mentat, there are 8 traditions, and each of those traditions has its own Mage and Mentat Folios. As stated above, no one character will have access to all 9 Folios, which Folios you can select from depends upon race, culture, and tradition.

There are Generic Elemental Warriors, and then there are Elemental Warriors who belong to the Pascaline Order. There is no difference in their spell list options, for these guys the difference is in the casting style/traditions used.

(yes, you could have an Elemental Warrior of the Cealla Tradition and one of the Usirae Tradition, and while they might have the same basic lists, their methods of casting would be very different.

Now, the Ranger and the Gherek Scouts have different Folios, and the Venturer Clerks (Venturers) have their own Folio which contains some Channeling/Ranger-type lists that are not available to the generic Venturer.

Firebrands are Champions, and have different Folio than the Lightbringers.

Glad to hear it.  ;D

Gah!!! I'll have to start saving for this NOW!!!! Thanx for the update Rasyr . Though I'd still love a RMX/Shadowworld book =P
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »
I think I'll tackle a RMX/SW intro to submit
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
I think I'll tackle a RMX/SW intro to submit

I will submit the idea to the bosses....

That is all that I can do..  ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
See Rasyr ..it can be done ...give us a RMX/SW game. See if Terry can write a brief overview of the setting & either update Jaiman or a overview of Jaiman with a update of Haalkitaine. Include the EA with the SW races & rules.That would be small enough & give a teaser to the RMC rules & SW. If people like it they can then order the RMC core books & SW Master Atlas n' PDFs.

I would think that the ideal thing would be to start with a relatively small area, much like the Norek module covered a small area, or perhaps the Tanara module - since those are pretty mainstream Jamain (though Norek would have to be totally redone from scratch since ICE doesn't have the full rights to it)

Something that covered a relatively small, self-contained area (not an entire continent) that could be expanded with additional products on down the line (i.e. "Region books" that gave racial info along with other information related to that particular area).

This way, other existing Shadow World products wouldn't be negated or made unusuable, and could, in fact, be expanded with supplemental material accordingly.