Forum > ICE News and Discussion

Diary Entry Three: Lots being juggled...

<< < (3/3)

egdcltd:
Danish rule of England didn't happen until the 11th century, shortly followed by Norman. In the 10th century, the Danelaw, which was the part of the country controlled by Danes, was being eroded by the Saxons and by the mid 10th century the Danelaw had been absorbed by England. England was at that time a Saxon dominion.

I would personally chuck historical accuracy out the window and use bits from several different times, as well as folklore from different cultures. For instance, by the 10th century Hadrian's Wall had been greatly dismantled. It would be an interesting twist to have it still occupied as a fortification.

Ordnance Survey do a couple of interesting maps. I'm sure I bought one as a poster.

http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/products/paper-maps/historical-maps/historical-maps-roman-and-ancient-britain/roman-britain/pid-9780319290378
http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/products/paper-maps/historical-maps/historical-maps-roman-and-ancient-britain/ancient-britain/pid-9780319290361

GrumpyOldFart:
Or you could go still farther back to the "Celtic invasion of England" when the Romans took mainland Europe from them. In many ways you can just pick a date anywhere, those islands are always trying to hold off raiders/invaders from the mainland, it's only the names that change.

John @ ICE:
I guess europe being far off was a bad choice of words.  I was really thinking he Holy Roman Empire and what was happening over that-a-way.  But certianly the "Vikings" were a plague on the British Isles. 

BUT lets not forget, the vikings by the 900s had been their CENTURIES.  Its like American Indians today still talking about the invader white man and how to get rid of him and win their lands back.  They would have become a fabric of Britian itself and while people were still quite tribal and the idea of being ruled by far off kings hated, I suspect for the average person its "just how things were" just like no one worried or thought much about what was going on in Europe - Kings and high lords yes, but I dont much lower down the food chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version