Author Topic: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Are Payload Pallet a fixed mount?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A payload pallet requires a hard point to be attached to the vehicles structure like the armament.

Would the payload pallet be considered to be in a fixed mount?

If a payload pallet is in a fixed mount would the cost be ¢50,000 like in the armaments section?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 From my understanding it is a fixed mount. But I do not think it costs 50,000 as it is a true fixed mount with no ability to change the angle of attack. But I could be wrong.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hopefully either Marc R or Defendi will get me straight, since that would add another bit of errata to the design example. For the moment I'll go with the idea that the fixed mount is free as indicated in your post.

My Excel spreadsheet is modular in format, the top section, frozen in place, displays the data from the previous sheets or allows you to test different combinations without having to go through all the earlier steps. On the module page you set the main parameters ISC/Empire/Non-aligned, TL, Speed/Acceleration, Mass/Volume/Power/Cost/Crew, Type of vehicle, and CAT.

In the body you make the appropriate selections say for a disruptor that included changing TL, CAT material of the hard or strong point.

I copied the Ion cannon page with the entry with the mount parameters set for cost, which threw-off the cost calculation.

I've condensed the SM: P VM to 6 Excel portrait pages inserting the changes for the payload pallet hard point. After I'm done should I have someone like Marc R review the document? Where would I post the document, if approved?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 For a review of the doc to post on the site I would submit it to the Downloads section. Once there someone will review the program to see if it contains too much info to post for other to use.

For testing you might send Defendi a PM to see if he would like to test it and I think (but do not know) Marc R would also be a good one. I can also do some testing but I cannot comment to a time line as I have some other stuff on my plate at the moment.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks MarkC,

I'm not really that close to having the spreadsheet tested, when I get there I'll be sure to check with Defendi and MarcR.

What I was trying to ask was about the corrections to the example for A-2.4 Complete Vehicle Construction Rules. Should I send a copy to MarcR and/or Defendi before I figure out where to post the document on the appropriate ICE web site.

Off-topic:

I've been opening to the ICE home page and then to the forums and log-in. Today, I tried to login from the home page and got the message ERROR: Invalid User name.

Is the login on the home page different from the forum?

If there is a problem how do I contact ICE?

Thanks
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 As to errata, I would send it to both Marc R and Defendi and they can hash it out and place it where it needs to go. IMHO it should include book and page # to make it easy for referencing. Something that the errata lacks now.

As to log-on problems I would contact customer service which is probably Thom@ICE but I could be wrong. I do not know if the site and the forums have a single long-on but in the past I do not think they did. But that may have changed.
 Also in general depending on net and server traffic sometimes the long on process can get lost so to speak. If you experience constant problems I would contact customer service as it is important for them to know about server traffic problems. If you can report your time and time zone it will help them see what the problem might have been and take steps to fix it.
 In general last weekend I had some trouble getting on the site as well. So if "they" are doing something on the weekend such as site testing or something else and it is sucking up server cycles it is important for them to know. Also if there is a problem maybe it is with their provider and again it is important for ICE to know.

MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks for the advice on who to send the design example with errata to. My format is missing the book but does include the section and page number as follows:

Select Vehicle Type (1) Example p. 97
Gary wants to make a 100 metric ton TMAC (Two-Man Assault Craft). This is for a straight tech level 25 society.

Small changes are in bold blue text and the changes resulting from the payload pallet are in bold red text.

Next question were is the link for customer support, I'm blind since I haven't found it yet. I'm going to get an eye exam on Wednesday and maybe new glasses will help me find stuff easier.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
http://www.ironcrown.com/?page_id=36 . It has changed to the website manager.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks for the link.
Tom R

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
With regard to payload pallets, if you go with SM2 optional ship design rules in Vessel Compendium #1, this states in the Optional Payload Pallet Pods section (pge 10)
"A weapon pod placed on a payload pallet is always considered to be a fixed mount..."

Some interesting stuff in that section regarding fitting various weapons into payload pallets.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks Skaran for the information. The only Vessel Compendium I have is #3.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks Skaran for the information. The only Vessel Compendium I have is #3.
  They used to be available in the ICE store as PDF's. But I think it will be a while until they are back up for sale.

If you are working on stuff for ICE they might get you a copy or allow someone to cut the info and send it to you. But you would need to ask the editor you are working with.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I guess I'll just have to wait until I can legally get copies of stuff. Thanks for the info MarkC.
Tom R