Author Topic: Training Package Spell Lists for Protege  (Read 273 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Training Package Spell Lists for Protege
« on: February 18, 2024, 12:39:05 AM »
Hi all,
I hope everyone is doing well!
I have a question about the Protege Training Package spell lists.
Under the "*" under the Protege Training Package, it states that the spell list picks for this TP are not to be any of the other lists that are already associated with specific training packages (e.g. Houri).
If this is the case, what lists CAN be picked? Does anyone have a complete list of all the TP spell lists?
Kind Regards
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Training Package Spell Lists for Protege
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 01:54:54 PM »
It says "Spell lists should usually be chosen from those normally available to the character." I read that as meaning any own base, open, or closed lists that the character could purchase. It doesn't have to be a training package spell list at all.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 04:10:57 PM »
It says "Spell lists should usually be chosen from those normally available to the character." I read that as meaning any own base, open, or closed lists that the character could purchase. It doesn't have to be a training package spell list at all.
In the skill area where it shows the spell development points available to spend. It says "Spells * Own Realm TP Skill Category" and then underneath it reads "Choice of 2 or 3 spell lists".  This is what is so confusing, does it mean only TP spell lists or as you say any Open, Closed or Base already available to the profession/race of the character.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 10:48:04 PM »
Unless Nicholas wants to comment on the original intent, we are just interpreting what it says. My feeling is that the list says training package spell lists because these lists are coming from a training package and, for purposes of calculating the cost of the TP, one must make some kind of assumption about the class of spell so it can have a defined cost. But as you note, most TP spell lists are linked to particular TPs which explicitly bars them here, and the explanatory text says "those normally available" which it seems to me rules out every other TP spell list too. Therefore the interpretation that they must be TP spell lists doesn't make a lot of sense, and what you are left with is the non-TP spell lists that a character can normally buy. That's my interpretation and why, but you can draw your own conclusions.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 08:19:18 AM »
I think this is my assumption (and the way I am going to handle it going forward) also.  Thank you JDale!