Author Topic: Favorite Armor Type  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Pittfiend

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Favorite Armor Type
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
I was reading through alot of the "Problems with Arms Law" and I was just wondering what most people prefer to use.  I personally use AT 4 for almost all my characters. Generally you don't get hit until a 90+ roll. There are often other AT that get crtis on lower rolls.  The only draw backs I find with it is it has a higher max damage/crit and animal attacks.  But for "normal" rolls and weapons it works fine.
What is your favorite armor type and why?

Offline Apeman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Favorite Armor Type
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
Go big or go home...

From a purely survival perspective (I am not afraid to kill off PC's), my players (those who survived any length of time) either went big with AT 20 or stayed with AT 1.  Anyone in between did so for Roleplaying purposes and generally had a grand old time with their dying gasp from a crit that wouldn't have happened if they had gone AT 20 or stuck with AT 1.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
Favourite ATs are 10 and 14, for Fighters AT 18. All still offer acceptable maneuver and Qu penalties.

Pittfiend: AT 4 for normal characters is IMO not contained in the rules. Instead AT 3 & 4 are described as animal hides. When producing armor from such hides, the resulting armor gives protection of AT 9 or 10. Or is there somewhere in the (core) rules an armor that can be purchased normally and that grants AT 4?

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »
I think you are right Ecthelion. AT3 & 4 are specifically living animals AT. With their hides, you can produce either soft leather armors (AT 5-8) or rigid leather (AT 9 & 10). AT 11 & 12 are also living animals hides.
Otherwise AT 12 would be my favorite.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »
 I have shifted characters to AT2 instead of AT1, so the most common are chain AT13 and leather AT5.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
Depends on character type, but I start out fighter types in 13/14 and move up to 17/18 first chance I get.  But I use a very smooth rank devolpment scheme to maximize my development usually, so i dont get inot the plate until 4th-5th level, with exceptoins of course.

In the 10' Pole book, a padded cloth armor is sold as AT 3.

I don't run a lot of settings were AT 20 is available or appropriate, but I do like having it when I can.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »

Yes, I have seen this. But we never use this as IMHO this gives the "no armor" users too big an advantage. If AT 3 would be allowed there would probably be almost no good reason to develop any ranks in the leather armor types.

Offline MidKnight

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • That which you cannot see CAN hurt you.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »
For our group...

AT-14 & AT-18

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »

Yes, I have seen this. But we never use this as IMHO this gives the "no armor" users too big an advantage. If AT 3 would be allowed there would probably be almost no good reason to develop any ranks in the leather armor types.

I agree and have never used it either.  The other poster may want to continue to allow AT 3-4 so I thought a little "official" rule type data might help support his position to do so.

Hey, if I played at his table, I would LOVE it and happpily consider a no armor sneaky or semi spell user (I normally play pures, don't care for semis because if ya wanna cast spells and rely on magic, why rely on anything else?).

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 05:49:25 AM »
depending on characters actually. Lately though I have found myself in 9s and 10s when I have time to get those greaves on (a Montebanc and a Cleric). For fighters I would go 17/18, for casters at1. My magician was working up skill in trancendence to get a at13 on, but then he took a heavy bolt in the eye.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Pittfiend

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »
Ok, so I did some reading and the AT3 and 4 are indeed for living animals.  When i was younger and my dad was the GM he let us have AT4, but usually made us work for it. I guess I never realized he was letting us bend the rules a bit.
So when I wasn't "cheating" I use 9

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »
I've done the same thing as markc - no one is AT 1, basic clothing/robes/whatnot is AT 2.  AT 1 is reserved for special creatures like skeletons.   This makes wearing no armor far worse than before, and makes wearing ROBES a roleplaying decision, rather then a bad decision.

By far AT 2 is therefore the most common armor in my campaigns, in fact I would say it's exclusively AT 2.   Sometimes one might wear an AT 9 or 10.

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »
I didn't think about that earlier, but it's brilliant. Giving everybody a default AT2 is really a good motivation to get some ranks in armor. I like that. However, is it not a little detrimential (I wonder if the word exist  ???) for the warrior-monk ? He could still use his adrenal defense, but he is also more easily hit.
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:04 AM »
I've done the same thing: to have AT1 you must be naked (or wearing only minimal clothings), if you are dressed the default AT is #2.
Monks are a little easier to hit, but AD still protects them well so don't worry: they're not going to become "underpowered" this way.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 03:00:25 AM »
My ranger has an elven tunic that protects as AT 12. I like this one ;)

But for any non-magic piece of armor, I like 14 or 18.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 07:36:48 AM »
I agree with Ecthelion, AT 10 for most character, rangers, rogue to some extent, and a lot of the companion professions, really nice one. For fighter I also usually go for AT 18 which I prefer to AT 14 - can't really explain why.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »
Maybe fighters look better in plate armor  8)
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »
Maybe fighters look better in plate armor  8)

Possible, actually quite possible. On the other hand, you usually see elves in chainmail or laen plate armour. I would say that it always depends on the style of character you are playing and it should. If a chain mail is better fitting the character concept, you should go for that instead of plate armour even if the protection is better. There is always a magical jerkin or a collar that protects as if the character wore AT 20 around in some treasure hoard. ;)
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
I agree with munchy on the armor choice for fighters depend on character concepts. I usually imaging light and highly maneuverable fighters wearing chain at max, while the heavy hard swinging types would be in plate.
Next fighter I make will be in chain (at 13 14), accompanied by a normal shield, broad sword and a light crossbow ...
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 06:20:29 AM »
For typical adventure AT18, good protection and moderate penalty, as you don't know what you need to do it is a good mix.

For channeling users, and thieves, rangers, etc. AT10. semi-spell users that develops 'trascend armor' can use AT14.

So, the base with greaves are the best IMO.