Author Topic: What do I need?  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Tarek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What do I need?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 04:28:24 AM »
If you're playing SM2 and want to go to RMFRP, buy just the Core Rules first (and probably in pdf) and see how you like it. Maybe get RMX to compare as it is so cheap.

There is a major shift in the way skills work and you really need to take a close look at the character creation process to see if you prefer it. It has a lot more skills and you can also develop a category of some skills (e.g. you develop missile weapons to get +2 OB per rank, and longbow for +3 OB per rank and add the two together)

I tried this but found that there were too many skills and that the category system was overcomplicated. However I now run a hybrid RMFRP/RMC game with the spell rules from RMFRP but everything else from RMC.

Oh, and the versions of Arms Law (or 10 million ways to die) are pretty much interchangable, so if you decide to change systems, it's the one book that you will not need to replace.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 07:57:57 AM »
I'm probably going to end up scrapping much of the setting and using strictly the rules, races, creatures, etc. when I build my campaign.
You won't be tossing setting at all, since all RM is setting-free.
You might want to check out the "which version do you play?" thread, Ramoran; lots of pro/cons on systems in there.
For the record, I'm RM2, probably switching to RMC upon funding.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 10:40:16 PM »
 I would get the core book or look at one in a shop near you to see if you like it. Then I would read the descriptions on the other products in the online store to see if you would like to have them in your game.

I would also do a little ground work ahead of time since I generally have had trouble adding in things as they come out to my game world.

IMO since I like RMSS/FRP is buy the RMSS Core, Spell Law and Arms Law as PDF's. Then you can print out the pages you need for each charcter. Also IMO RMSS, SL and AL are easyier on the pocket book then RMFRP, SL:C, SL:E, SL:M, AL and monster book. Oh I forgot to mention the creature book in the begining it will help a lot but as you game you get used to the rules it is very easy to make up your own.

Have Fun
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.