Author Topic: Bringing my old French rpg campaign into RMU  (Read 386 times)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bringing my old French rpg campaign into RMU
« on: May 06, 2023, 09:29:21 AM »
I just bought RMU Core Law (quality is most excellent if I might say) and wanted to start converting Empire Galactique (EG) skills to similar RMU skills so that I could move into the current century of gaming. I just want to have the EG flavor to my campaign. It doesn't have to be exact translations. My driving skills list is below. Would piloting be the skill for any type of driving; whether automobile or antigrav vehicle?

EQ Skill #EQ SkillAnimalEnvironmental
11 Driving VehiclesanimalRiding**[Pr]
11 Driving VehiclescanoeAnimal Handling** [Pr]Piloting** [Ag]
12 Driving VehicleschariotAnimal Handling** [Pr]Piloting** [Ag]
12 Driving VehiclessailboatPiloting** [Ag] ???
13 Driving VehiclesautomobilePiloting** [Ag] ???
13 Driving Vehiclesmotor boatPiloting** [Ag] ???
13 Driving Vehiclesairplane (prior to jet age)Piloting** [Ag] ???
14 Driving Vehicleshovercraft or jetPiloting** [Ag] ???
15 Driving Vehiclesbulle (bubble)Piloting** [Ag] ???
16 Driving VehiclesantigravPiloting** [Ag] ???

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
Re: Bringing my old French rpg campaign into RMU
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 11:12:43 AM »
I would use piloting.

Piloting is the operation of a vehicle such as a wagon, cart, sleigh, blimp, etc.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 01:44:37 PM »
You would just pick different specializations for different classes of vehicle. Piloting: Sailboat and Piloting: Antigrav. Subdivide to the desired level of detail.

If EG has some kind of scale of tech levels, you might apply a similarity penalty for differences in tech level. For example if you have Piloting: Airplane from a tech level where that means jets, you could use that skill at a penalty to fly a lower tech propeller aircraft. Even a modern sailboat with self-furling sails is going to be pretty different than a medieval sailboat even though the underlying principles are the same.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 02:29:54 PM »
I am thinking the same thing. I rather like the idea of using Piloting as a catch all instead of having Driving also. Before I read jdale's post this was my update. But after reading that maybe add something like Piloting:Sailboat NT 2 [Ag] or Piloting:Sailboat NT4 [Ag] if I wanted to add more detail. This system seems to accomodate me making it as deep or shallow as I want, depending on my audience/players.

11 - Riding** [Pr] or Piloting:Canoe [Ag]
12 - Animal Handling** [Pr] + Piloting:Chariot [Ag] or Piloting:Sailboat [Ag]
13 - Piloting:Automobile [Ag] or Piloting:Motorboat [Ag] or Piloting:Airplane [Ag]
14 - Piloting:Hovercraft [Ag] or Piloting:Jet [Ag]
15 - Piloting:Bulle [Ag]
16 - Piloting:Antigrav [Ag]

The second number in each string represents the nominal tech levels: 1=Prehistoric, 2=Pre-Industrial, 3=Industrial, 4=Interplanetary, 5=Interstellar and 6=Intergalactic. The main difference in 5 and 6 is that 6 represents the highest tech level on core worlds while 5 represents about the same tech level but on backwater systems. In French the tech levels are abbreviated NT. I still use the NT abreviation, but I just say "Nominal Tech".

I really like Table 3-0a: Skill Summary. I allows me to look at all the skills categories and skills and quickly see which skills I will need in the campaign, based on my older campaign notes.