Author Topic: Undercasting Spells  (Read 478 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Undercasting Spells
« on: January 19, 2023, 01:32:07 PM »
Two questions
1) Do you allow under casting of spells ? That's less power points than a rengenerally needed for the spell.
2) If yes, what rules do you apply?

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Undercasting Spells
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 02:29:16 PM »
No "undercasting" at my table.

Two questions
1) Do you allow under casting of spells ? That's less power points than a rengenerally needed for the spell.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 06:19:07 PM »
I used to use the RoCo. IV's undercasting rules but I then switched to a level-block power point system (1/2/3/4/5) to I stopped doing so.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 10:50:43 AM »
Two questions
Yes, I do. With a simple -5 to spell casting per PP not spent and a caveat that it is not possible to reduce a spell cost to 0. Casting roll is basically a skill roll with the spell list skill bonus applied (with normal progression, i.e. first 10 ranks provide +5 each, etc.) and other modifiers, with a "yes, and / yes / yes, but / no, but / no, no, and" outcome template for each 25 margin compared to the basic 101 success threshold. Since I use a single roll resolution system, resistance is integrated into the modifiers (or, if a PC is resisting, the casting bonus is integrated into the resistance roll modifiers).

I also happen to use a very fast PP recovery rate (basically 1 PP per minute up to 75%), which means that PP might be an issue on long fights but are typically not an issue for successive encounters separated by a reasonable amount of time.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 03:52:33 AM »
As Mister K, but the first PP difference is -10 to the B.A.R./SCSM/Both table, then -5 for every PP fewer after that.
Also, the LEVEL of the SpellUser drops by -1 for every PP difference, also, to a Minimum of 1.

Wanna be a miser with PP?  You can but then only gas fumes are coming out of that weak Fireball you’re casting, too.  Not a problem vs ants invading your picnic, but laughable against that SL creature you’re hoping to whammy continuously while being conservative with Power Points.

Adopted that until finding thresholds for spending PP to cast spells worked better for my group and power level I wanted(1PP for all spells up to 5th LVL; 6PP for spell levels of 6-10th level, etc.)