Author Topic: Called Shots?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Icefield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Called Shots?
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
Anyone have rules they use for a situation in which a player wants to go for a specific body part? How do you handle the critical?

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Re: Called Shots?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »
I assign a penalty that varies depending on the difficulty of the maneuver. Any critical result affects the specific target of the called shot regardless of description of the critical. This is how I handle the situation.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:20:32 AM »
Pretty much what HawksNut said.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 04:03:24 AM »
Depends on the situation:

- are you targeting a specific location to maximize the effects of your attack (i.e. targeting an area with no or less armor, a vital point, the only vulnerable part of a monster, etc)?
No change, save maybe in the description of the attack. The rules already assume that your character is trying to hit his foe where he's most vulnerable. If you end up hitting him in another location, it's because he partially deflected your blow.

- are you trying to achieve something specific (i.e. hitting him on his arm to make him drop something; trying to blind him; knock him out;...)?
Use the appropriate Combat Maneuver (disarm, swashbuckling,...) or Ambush.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
That's what we do.

Offline Icefield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
Depends on the situation:

- are you targeting a specific location to maximize the effects of your attack (i.e. targeting an area with no or less armor, a vital point, the only vulnerable part of a monster, etc)?
No change, save maybe in the description of the attack. The rules already assume that your character is trying to hit his foe where he's most vulnerable. If you end up hitting him in another location, it's because he partially deflected your blow.

- are you trying to achieve something specific (i.e. hitting him on his arm to make him drop something; trying to blind him; knock him out;...)?

I really just wanted to give the narrative power to the player (if they ask for it) by allowing this as long as it isn't gamebreaking. I like the way Runequest does the locations, and I wanted to steal that for RMC if possible.