Author Topic: How do you use armor in your campaign?  (Read 3649 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: How do you use armor in your campaign?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
AT 2, 5, and 6 are not "armor" in the normal sense anyway. They are not intended to protect against attacks.

Light graduation-robe style wizard's robes (like shown in many cartoons) should be treated as AT 1. AT 2 is cardinal/Pope style heavy ceremonial robes. I would not want to be wearing those in a fight. So who would be wearing them? Someone not planning to get in a fight. Such people do get attacked on occasion. Also, my house rules give a SCSM (RMSS/FRP equivalent of ESF rolls) bonus to appropriate spell-casters wearing the right robes.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Skynet

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »
Just because it has an armour type, doesn't mean it's armour.

An outdoors leather coat won't protect you from an axe or an arrow, but it will hinder your movement. Hence, it's not something you want to wear in a melee.

Yes, I completely understand what your saying, but AT5 doesn't hinder movement a lot, since it doesn't bear any MM penalty. So I can swim, jump and tumble without problems, but I can't fight as efficiently? Lack of consistency.

But, hey, this thread was very good for me. I got to see how you guys worked your way around this "problem" (or not, as some pointed out). Thanks for sharing ideas.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 05:59:10 AM »
So I can swim, jump and tumble without problems
Well actually not swim. Swimming is penalised by the maximum manuver penalty.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »
...which is zero. But soft leather armors also have an increased difficulty (Very Hard?) for swimming maneuvers.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Skynet;

One thing someone did in the past was to simply create their own combat charts and create their own rational for each armor type. If you have the time you may want to look at that for your game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
...which is zero. But soft leather armors also have an increased difficulty (Very Hard?) for swimming maneuvers.

Ups my bad :D

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
Yes, I completely understand what your saying, but AT5 doesn't hinder movement a lot, since it doesn't bear any MM penalty. So I can swim, jump and tumble without problems, but I can't fight as efficiently? Lack of consistency.

But, hey, this thread was very good for me. I got to see how you guys worked your way around this "problem" (or not, as some pointed out). Thanks for sharing ideas.
Yeah, it is pretty wonky :)

Dodging blows isn't really the same as climbing or rolling around, though most games use a generic "dexterity" penalty,if they use one at all.

In the end, nobody propably knows exactly why or why not, so we all have our own theories and ways to do it. But thats part of the fun :)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 12:54:11 AM »
We have always used Arms Law as is though I cannot remember ever seeing a PC wearing anything below At9 unless it was Animal Hide leather which my old GM would allow to be At4. Now I wouldnt allow that, but anyways ...
In my Dark Sun campaign I have been trying to use the Armor by Piece system as it would be fitting. I do find the lack of 5 crit tables and individual weapon tables a bit lacking, but sometimes sacrifices must be made. Spell casters do wear at2 from time to time with no complaning what so ever.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
Exactly.  The ATs are only meant (IMO) to replicate common coverings that may or may not have protective values.  I personally believe that their should only be 1 attack chart.  DB modifies whether you get hit or not, and armor the crit that you take.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.