Author Topic: Recuperation RM Style  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Recuperation RM Style
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Dark Schneider's proposal is essentially what we've always used.  We assume that 3 days is a reasonable (human) recovery time for non-critical wear and tear damage.  It's a heroic game, after all.  Divide total hits by 3 to get your daily recovery rate.  We assume that you need to spend a night resting to recover your daily rate, and that's a minimum of 6 hours of rest. 

Racial modifiers get applied to the base 3 day formula, so a race with a 3x multiplier takes 9 days to recover fully, and therefore has a slower daily recovery. 

If we need to get rolling faster, we can divide the daily rate by 24 hours to get an hourly recovery, with herbs/medicine being used to multiply that rate of recovery.  However, we also use addiction factors, and more than one player has gotten hooked on healing herbs.  Those make for interesting side stories, when certain herbs become less available.
Ex post facto.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 01:21:40 PM »
The system also has a seperate system for bruising, ala "Bruise to leg -10 to all actions" and the like.

Odds are, the crapulation you feel for days or weeks later is in that form. . . .

OTOH you could be beaten off your feet. . . .and be back in action moments or minutes later. (ala some boxing knockdowns, not the thrown off your feet type, the momentary knockout type)

heh, RM would be funny to use for boxing, you're out for 1 round, you're out for 10 sec and it's a KO.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
should there be a way for people with higher hits to recover them more quickly, since it seems unrealistic to some of us that tougher characters take longer to recover.

It really does not. Tougher people simply have the capacity to "recover" to a much higher level. I get the problem that if you have a mere 16 hits you will fully recover fast but even fully recovered you're feeble. Still the concept of hits does not translate easiely to reality and vice versa.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 03:42:12 PM »
I suspect though, if you took:
a 20 year old boxer
his 40 year old in good shape trainer
and his 30 year old in poor shape agent

And beat all three of them unconcious. . .even though it would take more of a beating to take down the boxer, he'd be back up to 100% faster.

For that matter, likely the in shape 40 year old would bounce back faster than the out of shape 30 year old, despite being 10 years older.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
Quote from: kevinmccollum on June 28, 2009, 04:33:04 PM
I don't have a problem with the system as it is. I imagine if I was in a fight and beaten (without broken bones, damaged muscles, etc) to within an inch of unconsciousness, it WOULD take a few days to stop feeling sore. 

You keep repeating this in this thread, but I don't think anyone is seriously disputing that it should take a long time to get to 100%.

What we are wondering is: should there be a way to recover some (not all, but some) hits quickly, on the assumption that these are the 'just had the wind knocked out of me, need 5 mins to get my bearings' type of hits; and should there be a way for people with higher hits to recover them more quickly, since it seems unrealistic to some of us that tougher characters take longer to recover.

And I'll keep repeating it. I just don't want an actual rule change that makes it easier/faster to recover. I am probably one of the few people who hated seeing power creep and this is just another example of it. House rule? fine. Change to the system (which would eventually result in a rewrite of the whole system, again).

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
What we are wondering is: should there be a way to recover some (not all, but some) hits quickly, on the assumption that these are the 'just had the wind knocked out of me, need 5 mins to get my bearings' type of hits; and should there be a way for people with higher hits to recover them more quickly, since it seems unrealistic to some of us that tougher characters take longer to recover.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Some of the dame you take has to be more temporary in nature, just like "getting the wind" knocked out of you. Magic cannot be the only way to get more than a couple of hits back after a battle.

I know from experience, that pain from an injury fades much faster than the rules allow currently - and much faster than the injury heals. Of course, it depends upon the injury, but a basic survival trait is the body's (mind's really, I think) ability to shunt the feeling of damage so that we can operate to a degree. Hoping that it will be enough to save our lives. The actual critical injuries would not be affected by this (it took me close to 3 months to heal froma broken neck - I get this part for sure  :o) and you could even institute a rule that says only a certain % of the individuals total hits may be "healed" this way each day - and any that are still gone after a nights rest cannot be healed like this at all. That way, when you have a lot of hits of damage you are sure to not heal them all up in a day.

Also, I feel that it is sort-a ridiculous to increase our ability to sustain damage incredibly easier than it is to increase our endurance. I believe that the opposite is more true in actuality.

But at the heart of this proposed HOUSE RULE (I never assume that anything I throw out is actually concidered for an official RM rules change  :D) is the concept that hits & endurance are one and the same, and it is the criticals that are the actual damage being done. That is why their healing times haven't been altered at all by this. It does mean that you could be running around out there with 100% of your hits, but injured in such a way as to have a -50 to all actions. Except that I would probalby put in a stipulation for a maximum # of hits depending upon the negative modifier - the easiest way would be to say you are down a number of hits equal to the %-modifier until it is healed. Which means as the mod lessens, so does the # of hits you will be down. (Easy example: You normally have 100 hits, you are at a -25, so you have 75 total/current hits until the modifier changes.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 08:23:28 PM »
That seems realistic to me.  Tougher characters take more of a beating because they have more hit points.  Once they finally give into their wounds, it is going to take longer for them to reach 100%.  I think the idea is, these characters are better at ignoring the pain until later.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
Quote from: kevinmccollum on June 28, 2009, 04:33:04 PM
I don't have a problem with the system as it is. I imagine if I was in a fight and beaten (without broken bones, damaged muscles, etc) to within an inch of unconsciousness, it WOULD take a few days to stop feeling sore.  

You keep repeating this in this thread, but I don't think anyone is seriously disputing that it should take a long time to get to 100%.

And I'll keep repeating it. I just don't want an actual rule change that makes it easier/faster to recover. I am probably one of the few people who hated seeing power creep and this is just another example of it. House rule? fine. Change to the system (which would eventually result in a rewrite of the whole system, again).

Again, I think your'e misunderstanding the thread. None of us that I know are lobbying for a rule change. We're discussing a house rule that some of us are devising to make things work in a manner that seems more realistic to us.

I'm not quite sure why you feel we shouldn't be doing this, or why you insist on returning to our thread to make it known that you don't like our own, personal house rule.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »
That actually is quite a simple and elegant solution to the problem. I think I'll just use that.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
That actually is quite a simple and elegant solution to the problem. I think I'll just use that.

Juat to sate my personal curiosity: What is it you are referring to here?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
And beat all three of them unconcious. . .even though it would take more of a beating to take down the boxer, he'd be back up to 100% faster.
Would he back up to 100% or back up in a good state, though?
For instance, let's assume the boxer has 150 hits, the trainer 100 hits and the agent 40 hits, and all are beaten KO with -10 hits. Now, let's assume the boxer gains 5 hits back per hour, the trainer 4 and the agent 2. Even though the boxer is recovering faster than anyone else, he'd need 30 hours to be back to 100%, while the trainer needs 25 hours and the agent a mere 20 hours. However, in 12 hours (half a day), the boxer is back to 50 hits, the trainer to 38 hits and the agent to 14 hits. Who would be "back" enough to have another fight? Probably, the boxer, by virtue of having recovered 50 hits (several punches) while the agent with his 14 hits would hold a round.

...or not?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:04 PM »

Juat to sate my personal curiosity: What is it you are referring to here?

Winterknight's modified version of Darkschneider's way: you get one third of your total hits back each day, modified by racial recovery time and also by ranks in body development.

This solves the problem of higher level characters getting back hits more slowly without being too complicated, IMHO. That's why I like it.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 12:16:14 AM »
But it is still only if you rest for the night. The idea here is that after a fight, you can rest and get some back, to say that you got some of your "wind" back. So, it does nothing for that aspect.

I do agree that a higher level individual shouldn't be penalized for having high hits by making them take days longer to heal. So something that takes care of that is a good idea, imo.

The two ideas seem to need their own threads......