Author Topic: Casting Focus and CC Classes?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline MaxUgg

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Casting Focus and CC Classes?
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:54:31 AM »
I was reading an option in Spel Law Classic OPTION 10.10: ESF FOR CASTING WITH NO FREE HAND and sit says Casting with an object of power or casting focus in hand does not count as no hands free, so for instance, a priest presenting a holy symbol with both hands is considered to be using both hands for casting.

So does this mean for the Semi Classes in the CC [Venturer, Champion and elemental Warrior] their bonded weapon is an object of power for them so they can cast while weilding a 2-hander or a sword and shiled??
Everything is IMNSHO and always YMMV applies

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Casting Focus and CC Classes?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:13:20 AM »
That depends upon what the GM allows.

1) Venturer does not have a weapon linking/bonding spell.

2) The bond/link spells on the Champion and Elemental Warrior lists are for making the weapons usable with the other spells on the list. Nothing more.

3) The part you are quoting is referring mainly to things like staves or wands or such that often also act as a power point multiplier.

4) For Semi Spell Users (at least), if you allow the casting of spells using a "focus item" such as their weapon, then you should (IMHO) give them a penalty for casting without it.

Offline MaxUgg

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
Well I guess I was asking for clarification - over the years the rules applying to semi-arms useres, in all systems that I know, have been stamped on and ignored generealy.. I guess what i was realy trying to ask is that in RAW is my interpretation correct that a caster must, inorder to cast spells be wielding a 1 handed weapon with no shield and if a shield or 2-handed weapon is used ESF modifiers should be used.

However exceptions to this rules are made for wands, staves, wizards staffs and holy symbols?

is that right?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
The key words are "object of power" or "casting focus". The rules do not fully define what could or could not be a casting focus. That is left up to the GM. The only example given is a holy symbol. Objects of power have more example, in the form of magic items, such as wands and staves, and other spell devices.

But for a casting focus is boils down to the following:

If a GM says that a weapon cannot be a focus item, then THAT means that it counts against the number of hands free.

If a GM says that a weapon CAN be a focus item for casting, then it would NOT count against the number of hands free.

Offline MaxUgg

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:33:33 AM »
thanks for the swift answers :)