Author Topic: Using RMSS books with RMFRP?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Using RMSS books with RMFRP?
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:50:31 PM »
Im specifically wondering about mentalism, arcane and martial arts companion.

Can I use these with RMFRP without too much trouble?

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Using RMSS books with RMFRP?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
Yes

The RMFRP system was mostly re-prints of RMSS but with several new companions made for it. There are a few RMSS books that didn?t make it to the RMFRP but they're basically the same and can be used without any problems. I have a couple of RMFRP companions that refer to themselves in the text as RMSS.

The biggest difference between the 2 systems are the core rule books. Most of the info is interchangeable but they're set out in several different books. Whereas the companions are mostly the same material comparing the Channeling Companion or the Mentalism Companion for instance between RMSS and RMFRP; they're very close to each other RMSS book vs RMFRP. The Core rules, however, are split into different books in RMSS compared to RMFRP.
RMSS - Standard Rules, Talents, The Basics, Player Guide, Spell Book (all in 1 book) etc.
RMFRP - Fantasy Role Playing, Character Law, School of Hard Knocks, 3 separate books for the Realms of Magic etc

You'll find differences in Training Package's costs but ICE have made a master TP costs available in the Vault - I'll grab you a link in a sec.

There's also a document detailing the differences between RMSS and RMFRP book which is also in the Vault I believe - again, I'll grab you a link in a sec.

:)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »
Master TP costs for all professions (RMSS and RMFRP) is here - http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item254 which keeps things more balanced between the systems if you're mixing and matching the different companions for your game.
and the fully detailed comparison or RMFRP and RMSS is here - http://www.icewebring.com/rmss-vs-rmfrp/

It goes into great detail on the RMSS Talents and the RMFRP Character Law Talents but regarding the RMSS, the conclusion is that they're almost entirely compatible.

:)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
The Talent rules in the RMSS book can really be broken.  The +8 special stat mods can get ugly when they're stacked with a strong racial bonus.

Castles and Ruins adds lots of fun Training Packages.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:24 AM »
 I generally prefer the RMSS books over the RMFRP books with the same material. But often my players will use both sets of rules with very few problems. The big one is Talent Law as it can be unbalancing depending on your gaming style.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 01:21:37 AM »
The Talent rules in the RMSS book can really be broken.  The +8 special stat mods can get ugly when they're stacked with a strong racial bonus.

I solved all issues with talents by adding counterbalancing "stuff' to them. Thus I never felt the need to use RMFRP character law.

+8 to St bonus comes along with a taller and heavier character. He also needs to eat more. Overall, he pays more for armour, clothing, weaponry and food.