Author Topic: Non-Human Senses  (Read 2315 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Non-Human Senses
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
Did a bit of research/thinking on animal senses and thought it could apply to games.
No one wants to complicate things further and these have nothing to do with play.
Everything could be attributed by magic, or that's just the way it is; but I and some others like to know "why"...

Dwarves "see" in the dark- This could be similar to snake "vision". Pits around the eyes and even cheeks/face. This could be why dwarves never shave. The range may not be great but coupled with some nerve center in the brain to clean up a fuzzy image... Or UV sensitive/emitting eyes. (Though I never liked the last one.)

Elves superb hearing- Humans are born w/ around 30,000 sensitive hairs in each ear. Loosing these to age, infection, reactions from drugs (Herbs) and rock concerts, most peoples hearing gets worse the longer you live. Elves could have even more hairs inside, or even on the tips of their ears, (maybe that's why they're pointy) cheeks and face. (Not subject to disease/old age helps too.)These wouldn't be visible of course, elves don't grow beards. Better developed inner ears could give increased balance to boot.

Poison resistance- Mast cells in the immune system cause allergies, asthma and inflammation from bee stings. They also release the protein carboxypeptidase A which actually breaks down venom poisons. Halflings and dwarves could have more venomous vermin & more of the protein than other races...

Oh, well. Just some thoughts. These ideas don't change anything in game terms; just helps some of us get a handle on it. If ya don't like 'em just say "cause that's what the book says!"
No links 'cause these topics are readily available/easy to find.
What'dyall think?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Non-Human Senses
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
I like it. I try to keep to a bare minimum of "handwavium" in my games when possible.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula