Author Topic: Miniatures?  (Read 4810 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Miniatures?
« on: February 25, 2009, 01:47:20 AM »
Does anyone use mini's for RM? Im going to use some 15mm fig's for our next campaign, and was figuring of just measuring out distances,after figuring a reasonable ground scale (propably 5' per inch but we'll see)

Any experience out there?

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:28:12 AM »
We've done that, on and off, for about twenty years.  Don't do it every game, but we know people who do.  They use 25 mm and 1"=5'.  They aren't really huge on the measuring parts.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »
I sometimes use Warhammer models (I have tons of those...)

It really is usefull only in confused and raging fights. Otherwise, it's a loss of time rather than a gain.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »
We've done it on and off for as long as I can remember. We ususally use 25mm miniatures when we use mini's.
I recommend using them only in large battles where it's important to keep track of PC positioning.

Offline bottg

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Arion Games
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:25 AM »
We use figures in most of our games, but we never measure distances.  It is really to show who is where, and who is fighting who.
We use a cheap whiteboard laid on the table, and the GM just makes a quick sketch of the area. 

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »
We have been playing for 20+ years and have always used minatures.  We use 5' to the inch and use a large grid of paper with a plastic sheet on top for the placement.  We usually paint minatures for the characters to match the character stats, such as 2 weapon combo or spears.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »
I am way too cheap for that.  I use a white board and colored wooden tokens.  The "Bad Guys" are black, and each of the PC's gets a token in their own color.

Usually, they are only used for large battles where "line of sight" becomes an issue.  (Archery, spells, etc....)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
We use miniatures religiously... I seriously can't imagine not using them, as it helps everyone to visualize the battlefield and to measure distances. And whenever I pop down a new mini they've never seen for the big bad boss, I get the 'ooooh!'s and 'aaaah'!s.

I got a big, hex battlemat that works great with some non-permanent markers. The only problem for me is that I very much prefer hexes to squares, but with the dominance of DnD almost all the third-party pre-made maps are squares. It really is fun to use those original, DnD maps you find in the modules (or whatever they call modules these days), and I wish I could find some third-party hex maps... but drawing things myself is ok for now.

I really couldn't go back to playing without figures (though if it works for you, be my guest). A friend of mine once ran an Exalted campaign with no maps or figures, and while it was a lot of fun, it was pretty impossible to visualize where everyone was and many players or NPCs did things that were pretty much impossible (I.e. meleeing a character that was waaaay too far away from them) because we couldn't visualize the space and no one knew exactly where, physically, there characters were in the midst of the battle.

Miniatures allow for more tactical and realistic combat, IMHO... I could never do without them!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
I use Google Earth for my game map, so sight lines and distances are not an issue for me. I'm not limited in available directions to 4, 6 or 8, and I have a ruler available to measure distances at a click.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
I also use minis for every combat regardless of game system - D&D, HARP, RMC, Champions, etc. It makes it a lot easier to keep track of where the combatants are.

Runequester, a 1 inch = 5 foot scale is pretty much correct for 25-28mm figures, so it won't work so well for 15mm, although for most role-playing setups it probably doesn't make too much difference  :) To be accurate the scale should be 1 inch = 8 feet.

Hurin, I have the same problem you do about preferring hex maps but having square maps. I am considering finding out the cost of getting 1 inch hexes put onto a transparency so I can just lay it over the maps I have.

Hawk

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »
yeah, thats true, but 8 feet is an awkward number

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
You can buy transparancies that are laser-printer safe.  If you don't have a grid of the right size you could either steal one from our Echoes maps or ask me and I'd do it for you.  Then you could print your hex-grid on a laser printer with the CC Viewer and Printer.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »
I like minis.  Reaper has such a lerge line of character style minis that I can usually find something suitable no matter wha the player has made.

I use a square grid for all games.  I have so much stuff in square grid and my local FLGS sells all the Gamemastery map packs at a discount it's just easier.  I already have wire templates to represent circular effects like fireballs and whatnot.  I certainly don't use 4E's method of square fireballs.

My friends and I like minis and will usually try to get a painted mini for each character even if we're not using minis for the actual game; it's just neat to have the figure.  Unfortunately,  I collect at a far faster pace than I can paint.  I also live in the Cleveland area where from about mid October to sometime in May (with a few exceptions thrown in) it's too cold outside to prime (or too wet).  Priming by hand is too much of a hassle for me.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 10:32:55 AM »
Don't use minis as the group I'm doesn't use them. I have in the past & may again in the future. The problem will be finding minis that fit my world =P Characters in fullplate & chain ARE very rare if not non-existent.I'd have to get some historical minis & convert them .
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »
Don't care for minis.  I like to keep the game in my head.  When I play instead of GM, I want to be able to trust the GM to run a fight and give him the leeway to do so.  Minis turn a game into a session of tactical warfare and I have games for that.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Apeman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

Whether playing Rolemaster or D&D, we use minis and lots of them.  Dwarven Forge terrain also enhances the setups.

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/postgallery.php?pid=29265&filename=Marine+2.jpg

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/postgallery.php?pid=29265&filename=Marine+4.jpg

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/postgallery.php?pid=28819&filename=Carrion.jpg

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/postgallery.php?pid=28819&filename=mountain.jpg

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/postgallery.php?pid=28898&filename=party+1.jpg

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/postgallery.php?pid=28891&filename=Busboom+Castle+Layout+2.jpg
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:02:08 PM by Apeman »

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
I like the Dwarvenforge stuff and always stop by their booth at GenCon but was never willing to invest the money in it to make it really worthwhile.

Minis can enhance a game and minis can also be the game.  Neither is wrong, if that's what you want, but your imagination will always be your best tool.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Ido Tamir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
I bought a small whiteboard, and created a small "mini" for each player from a thick Corrugated fiberboard (sorry for the those two words - can't seem to find a better translation in Google  ;D).

Then I use color markers to draw the terrain, and the players just position their "minis".

This way we get an overview of the terrain / enemy location etc without going down to counting squares or hexes and getting too tactical...

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
yeah, I find mini's (or counters or whatever) can work well, even if you dont measure out distances. It just gives an instant view of "who's where" in a complex fight

Offline chukoliang

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
We use minatures and one of those tabletop hexagonal tops, that the GM or players can write on with a marker. We also have several props from many of the things sold (trees, runestones, treasure chest etc.). There from different companies but on the same scale so we can represent most mobs and situations.

However, we don't do the war rules with the rulers and such. The basic game movements fit in perfectly with our hexed gaming mat.  The plastic D&D 20 figures in a box set is fabulous and cheap enough, so we all bought some. One of our gms went hardcore and he has armies of all the mobs he sends afer us. And when someone summons a different elemental it is just nice to have one that represents it.

And as runequester said, the "who's where" by placing rather than explaning is a time and arguement saver. And just adds to the game fun while speeding up everyone's understanding of where everyone is on the map. It also adds flavor and some extra game ambionce , as when the GM puts 20 Orc/undead whatever up. We know were in for a tough fight. Or when the leader looking Orc who is huge and well decorated steps up, we know the figure represent the character being described, while there is no doubt who is in charge. It is a nice touch.

If you have the hexagonal map it also clearly shows who is facing what way, and makes sure only so many characters or enemies can be put in one space.

This is something that I have always had in RP, since I was introduced to RPing so it is just part of the game to me.