Author Topic: Funny observation  (Read 2289 times)

Offline skathros!

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Funny observation
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »
Well, maybe not funny in the "hahaha" sense, but definitely funny in the "hmmm, makes you wonder" sense.

I peruse a few RPG boards, the bulk being old-school RPg boards like Dragonsfoot, or boards dedicated to rules lite RPGs such as Savage Worlds or C&C. Always, a "best RPG" thread pops up. And always, I'm amazed at the number of folks who list RM (or some incarnation of the RM rules) as their top favorite games. It's always interesting to note how large the RM fan-base is (past and present),and how many people have expressed (no pun intended) a genuine love (or at least "like") for the game.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Funny observation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »
 I am not surprised at that, what surprises me more is how often people have home rules or have altered the RM system for their world. Sometimes its a major change and others its is a minor one but most agree that their games are based partly or wholly on RM.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Forge: Western Martial Arts
Re: Funny observation
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »
Yeah, RM's been around a long time, so a lot of people have had the chance to play and love (or hate) the game. I think the game's dark sense of humour appeals to a lot of people in much the same way that WHFRP's does. Pretty much everybody has some good RM memories. And for all that some people don't like the game, it's evident that the game does what it does well. People respect that. It's hard to find a game that can do high-fantasy with a large element of risk. RM's one of the only systems that can do that well. Pretty much all the other gritty games are much more low-fantasy (Harn, Warhammer, etc) than RM. Different tools for different jobs. When the GM is on top of his game, RM really shines, since it's just so much fun. And RM GMs tend to take the time to do things right, being detail-oriented by and large. That adds up to a fair amount of goodwill towards the game in many gamer's minds.

-Mark