Author Topic: rapid dismount  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
rapid dismount
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »
I'm sure I've seen it somewhere...there is a suggested penalty for dismounting rapidly....
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: rapid dismount
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:08 PM »
Don't know where it is but i would suggest either a very hard or extremely hard agility or Riding check.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »
I'm sure I've seen it somewhere...there is a suggested penalty for dismounting rapidly....

It's called falling :)

What I'd do is first envisage what sort of movement it is ...

Type 1 - Circus Trick ...
Very Difficult Riding mnv to go from seated to standing on Horse's back. no benefit/bonus from saddle
Tumbling/Acrobatics mnv to flip off the horse (and control where you land and what way you are facing ... "leaping" could be used to land safely, but the GM determines facing). Difficulty based on speed, terrain and distractions (are you being shot at?)
- Mnv ends with character Standing, facing the correct direction (failure => character takes medium falling damage, OB determined by speed & terrain)

Type 2 - Cossack Dismount (also Amer.Ind/Berber/etc)
* Very difficult riding mnv to slide sideways such that you have only one leg over the back of the mount
* Tumbling mnv to drop and roll away from mount in a controlled manner. Difficulty based on speed, terrain and distractions (are you being shot at?)
- Mnv ends with character lying prone (and hopefully unseen by any observer); (failure => character takes small falling damage; OB determined by speed & terrain)

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:11:13 PM »
Otherwise ... you gotta stop the horse ... and doing that too quickly will result in injury to the horse (and to the character when you get thrown)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
Otherwise ... you gotta stop the horse ... and doing that too quickly will result in injury to the horse (and to the character when you get thrown)

Hey! Isn't that another form of rapid dismount?? 

;D

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:07:25 AM »
Actually, rapidly dismounting a horse s a horse acrobatics trick you learn the first year of training. It is quite easy (we even trained to simulate a dismount, touch the ground and then jump back on the saddle and do it on the other side.

Hard maneuver, at worst.

Suggestions :

Rapid dismount => hard

Rapid mount when horse is not moving => medium
Rapid mount when horse is walking => hard
Rapid mount when horse is jogging (don't know the exact word in english, sorry) => very hard
Rapid mount when horse is galopping => extremely hard
Rapid mount when horse is trying to run over you => sheer folly

Standing up on saddle => very hard

Pick up something on the ground when horse is not moving : hard (increase maneuver difficulty with pace)

Doing all these maneuver without a saddle : increase difficulty by 1 degree
Doing these without bridle and tack : increase difficulty by 1 degree (except mounting and dismounting)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:48:23 AM »

In the Companion I, p.63, a rapid dismount takes 20% of the Round. As all actions beyond the 10% Movement allowed with a melee attack get -10 to the OB per 10% of additional Movement, you may give it a -10 penalty if the character also melees in the same round.   ;)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »
Rapid mount when horse is jogging (don't know the exact word in english, sorry) => very hard

no problem.  word: trot, trotting
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline worldpresentation

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »
Trotting
Actually, rapidly dismounting a horse s a horse acrobatics trick you learn the first year of training. It is quite easy (we even trained to simulate a dismount, touch the ground and then jump back on the saddle and do it on the other side.

Hard maneuver, at worst.

Suggestions :

Rapid dismount => hard

Rapid mount when horse is not moving => medium
Rapid mount when horse is walking => hard
Rapid mount when horse is galopping => extremely hard
Rapid mount when horse is trying to run over you => sheer folly

Standing up on saddle => very hard

Pick up something on the ground when horse is not moving : hard (increase maneuver difficulty with pace)

Doing all these maneuver without a saddle : increase difficulty by 1 degree
Doing these without bridle and tack : increase difficulty by 1 degree (except mounting and dismounting)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
My method of rapid dismount consisted of galloping my horse into another one. The brief look at the face of the other horse rider was a picture as his horse refused to get out of the way.

At this point I confirmed that you could charge a horse into contact. My horse came to a complete stop knocking the hind legs out from under the other horse.

I then sailed through the air landed with a role and came up on my feet all in less than a combat round. My landing was so good that I came up completely covered in red dust from the gravel track and with a tiny graxe on one wrist. The horses were OK too, though mine was wearing its sadle as a neck ornament.

Now to achieve this momentous feet in RM what skills would I need?

PS I have no intention of trying this particular "trick" again.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow