Author Topic: Weapon skill for Whip - 1HC or 1HS?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Weapon skill for Whip - 1HC or 1HS?
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:38:02 AM »
Hello,

RMX has whip as a 1-HS weapon (doing grapple and secondary slashing crits).

RMC (I think) and old MERP has it as 1-HC, with RMC using Krush critcals.

Why the difference?

Which is 'correct'?

John

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Weapon skill for Whip - 1HC or 1HS?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:15:51 AM »
What do you feel is more suitable yourself?
Krushing or slashing?

If my GM let a normal whip crush my hip, I would have words with him...
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
There are two main difference between a choping and an edge weapon:
The combatant have to use the edge weapon with a direction - only hits with the sharp edge do have a good effect.
The shaft of a crushing weapon may rotate in your hand the effect is the same.

The whip is like a crushing weapon the user doesn't have to worry about the hit angle.
But the kind of damage is more for slashing than for crushing (breaking a bone with a whip ?)

RMC states the whip as 1Hand Concussion, but I would also allow to learn it with 1Hand Edge costs.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »
Well - I think I prefer the RMX treatment over RMC.  Or, like the old MERP, make it 1-HC skill but Grapple and Slash crits.

I'll prob stick with RMX - and adjust if anyone asks.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
RMC has the Whip listed because the old RM2 has it like that.

Personally, I think that the whip is a slashing weapon, not a crushing weapon, so I would go with RMX's handling of it.

In the upcoming Combat Companion, the Whip is actually in its own weapon group (the RMC/X 5 weapons groups get trashed in the Combat Companion, and instead there are about 26 or so weapon groups, but only a couple sets of costs - Express Additions #4 gives you something of a small preview of this... (Note: the CC rules have changed slightly, so the costs from EA4 may not match those found in CC)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »
A bit off topic, but...

Rasyr, did you condider one weapon catagory for all weapons?  A friend presented me with a laundry list of arguements in favor of it (one catagory, all weapon skills in it, variable stat mods for those skills) and I must say I was influenced to the "not a bad idea" side.

Really just curious.

BTW, I use a whip a 1hs or a 1hc or a special attack, does up to medium grapple attacks, max B crush/slash.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
Rasyr, did you condider one weapon catagory for all weapons?  A friend presented me with a laundry list of arguements in favor of it (one catagory, all weapon skills in it, variable stat mods for those skills) and I must say I was influenced to the "not a bad idea" side.

Really just curious.

Actually, Combat Companion gives 2 basic skills for combat -- melee and ranged. You then specialize by learning a style for either a single weapon or group of weapons (there are 25 groups). The cost for each group (for melee) are the same for all 25 groups. But the weapons are divided into groups because you use them differently. Plus, the system allows for expansion for new and/or unusual weapons (like oriental weapons that combine aspects of several different weapons)

For ranged, the stats are dependent upon whether it is a thrown or missile attack. Some groups can be either melee or thrown, while others are basically one or the other.

(and yes, the style rules can be used for RMFRP as well as RMC).

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »

That is appreciated, though truth be told I keep a pry bar and monkey wrench in my GM Bag-O-Tooles that allow me to mod just about anything when the need arises.  Combined with my +55 Of Fiat Sword, I can handle just about every nasty little situation a player or a new supplement can throw at me.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »

That is appreciated, though truth be told I keep a pry bar and monkey wrench in my GM Bag-O-Tooles that allow me to mod just about anything when the need arises.  Combined with my +55 Of Fiat Sword, I can handle just about every nasty little situation a player or a new supplement can throw at me.

hehe...

The style rules are very flexible and allow for lots of customization. You can build styles with certain abilities (there are universal, melee, ranged, and martial arts abilities), and even include specific maneuvers (which can modify OB, DB, crits, or init). The style rules even allow for purchasing maneuvers AFTER you have the style, so each person can customize them accordingly.

You can consider them another goodie in you GM Bag-O-Tools...  ;D

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »
Well, ICE's combat companions have been good and excellent (arms comapnion good, martial arts companion excellent), so this is one book I will certainly pick up.  If it is good enough to supplant Martial Arts Comanion, then you sir have indeed done a fine job.

lynn