Author Topic: Opinions on old books? Dark Space, Time Riders, At Rapiers Point, Arabian Nights  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0

I just got started thinking about these oldies. Care to share the love and tell me why I should try to hunt them down?

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Well Dark Space is the only one of the above that I own but it got some really cool things in it. Not only is it a SF/Fantasy crossover that seems to work once you get around the wierdness of the setting (20 planets, but little in the way of getting to those) you actually have some cool. The setting is above a threating beyond demonic invasion scheme (see CT2 for more on those) in a world where all things we would call technological for the better of humanity. Instead you have Softech, which is where the product really kicks hoop. Oh and no Elves or Orcs

What you have is magic, laser guns and limited intersystem travel set in a setting bend in CoC`ish horror if you bend it that way
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
As an added bonus, "Dark Space" was written by Monte Cook.  (If you know anything about the FRPG world, you've heard that name before.)

Of the other books in the "Campaign Classics" series, I would reccommend "Ancient Egypt" and "The Vikings". 

Ancient Egypt has a unique system of creating randomly generated dungeon crawls that turn into real torture tests for scouts and clerics. 

Ancient Vikings is full of historical details for a campaign in the nothern wilds of scandinavia.

I didn't like the other books in the series.  However, if you liked the Johnny Depp Pirate movies, you might try "Pirates" and "At Rapier's Point".  I am not a huge fan of gunpowder and low-magic settings, so these books really aren't my cup of tea.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 If I were and admin I would break this topic off with a pointer to a new folder in which each book had its own thread. That would amke it much easyer to read and respond to each book.
 I will wait to see if it splits before I make a responce to which I like and do not like. I have at least 1 maybe 2-3 cpoies of each so if you have a specific Q shoot me a PM and I will let you know.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I don't think there will be enough responses to a thread like this to warrant a thread for each book. I kind of figured that few would own all, and if you liked one you could post and tell me why.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I have Dark Space, Arabian Nights, & Oriental Companion. While I have never "played" them, I have used them as great sources of information for other games.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
I have Orential Comp, Dark Space, Shadow World box, Tech Law, that greek/heros book, and a couple of others im forgetting.

Generaly, for a couple bucks each they seem worth it in just getting out of a sticky situation when it arises with creative PC's.

Also, just skimming them in the Restroom generaly alows whole new cultures to be created in the GM's mind. ("What if I buy a boat and just sail west?") 8)
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
You'd be surprised. . .a goodly selection of people on this board, many old farts.

I liked the setting based books, arabian, viking, egypt.

Found the concept based books a little weak on rules, Rapiers Point had less needed info in it than say the arms companion did. (If anything the AC went too far.). . .it was almost a setting disguised as a rule add on. That said, I occasionally use my copy to beat on my copy of "Robin Hood" which I like less.

Time Riders seemed less useful than the RoCo with the SM/RM conversions.

Dark Space. . .well, I had all the monsters in CT2, I found the softech bleh and the setting bleh bleh. . .like, if I wanted to do lovecraft I'd do lovecraft, and if I wanted a house version I'd do my own. (It always struck me as a little soft shoe routine to avoid getting sued by the CoC people by publishing almost their material with different names and very slightly different details.).
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
Agreed LM. I got some good names out of Robin Hood. Vikings I had forgot about. Never could bring myself to use the Villans book either. But you never know what will trigger a good line of thought 8)
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 I am luck enought to have wone a coulple of big RM lots on EBay, unfortantly the last was the most complete so I have 2 or 3 of some of the books. This has also allowed me to lose 2-3 copies of RoCo 3, which I hope will be in a box I unpack from the big move.
 I came to RM late after having played a little in 84-86 and haven been given a RM2 and SM2 boxed set from someone who it was it was too complex. I also had picked up a lot of the MERP stuff for use with varous game syetms but not for use with RM.
 In 96-98 I joined a RM2 game and starte to pick up RMSS books because I could find and order them easy. This also showed me just how different the systems were compaired to each other. So I browsed Ebay and tried to pick up on stuff the GM recomended as well as hit a few game stores I knew to have stashes of old stuff for sale. I had very good luck at old town games in San Diego and picked up 3-6 books I was missing.

All in all I woudl say most of them are good reads and can show just how different campaigns can be across the world. I would not say any are a must have except for War Law, Armored Assault, Star Strike if you plan of doing some mass combat or need vehicle combat for you game.
 Some of my least favorates are Dark Space, Outlaw and Pirates. But I can see where some people might need the rules and enjoy the setting provided. Of the other books like you said the NPC book and Arms Comp are two of the least used products in my collection.

I can say that if you can find the RM2 books for a good price I think you will be happy because sometimes its give you camapign ideas to work with and can show you some power gaming rules at thier finist.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Having all of them I would have to say that they are all a good read with some interesting backgorund stuff in them. Myself, I prefer the historical ones for reference...I'd also include Outlaw in this thread as well.

Dark space is very interesting... with Cthuluesque undertones.

Since all are RM rather than RMSS, I use little else in them for little other than the backround info. My favourites being Rapiers Point and Outlaw... still waiting for a RMSS genre book for these eras (Unless of course you count Run out the Guns..).

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
Combining At Rapiers Point with Pirates we played quite a nice game set during the Napoleonic period.

Outlaw was a lot of fun but dont bother building characters above about L3 since they can tend to die a lot.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow