Author Topic: Body Encumberence (Skinny/Fat/Stocky/Normal)  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
Body Encumberence (Skinny/Fat/Stocky/Normal)
« on: January 19, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
Oh just thought of another thing, which we use as a house rule. Characters that are overweight, the overweight is treated as encumbrance so a 180 lb which gives an 18 lb allowance level character currently massing 220 lbs is carrying an encumbrance of 40 lbs and without any equipment is already encumbered in the 2 - 3x category.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
I find that the single best rule on the matter I ever heard. (Have an idea point)

But I wonder how one would calculate proper weight, especially for non humans.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »
I find that the single best rule on the matter I ever heard. (Have an idea point)

I gave him an idea point as well..

But I wonder how one would calculate proper weight, especially for non humans.

The Size Table on page 50 of RMC Character Law gives heights and average weights for those heights, presuming an average build. And this can be an easy starting point.

Just to keep things simple, I would say that if a character's weight deviates from that listed for his Height by more than 3 rows (beyond the adjustments listed for Build/Frame), they be considered overweight. Additionally, any Build/Frame above that of "Heavy" also be considered as overweight.

Just a suggestion......

So, using Skaran's example, a 6 foot tall human has an average weight of 180 lbs (or a Stocky 5'10" tall human).

220 lbs is 7 row shifts from the normal 180 lbs weight. This is greater than the 3 allowed row shifts and it also falls within the Stout range for a human of those heights (at least). So the character would be considered overweight on both counts (either is enough).

Very very cool idea!!

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
Don't forget also that that characters armour, robes etc will no longer fit. Especially funny for the paladin or warrior who finds his stomach escaping from beneath his breastplate. :)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »
"Can't Breathe, get me out of this armor!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »
There would need to be a little more detail involved.

For instance:

6' man of average build

Age 18: 230#, kind of plump
Goes on a health kick
Age 24: 180#, In trim shape
Goes heavy into weightlifting and martial arts.
Age 30: 230#, Pumped up with muscle shape

That age 30 weight is not grossly muscled, you can be 6' and 230# and still have no restraint on movement. (The above describes a friend of mine). . .perhaps lifestyle changes would allow one to do the slim/normal/stocky transition and change your base?

Then again, I'd say that my friend's transition from 24 to 30 represents a large increase in in temp strength, and therefore bonus. . .

So perhaps the "Very Muscular" weight gain is to a great degree self regulating, you gain 10# of muscle, but you also may gain +5 St bonus which per the encumberence rules may just mean a net 0 or perhaps more carry weight allowed.

In real life, endurence runners are all stringy muscle, so the logic of this would probably lean toward the "self regulating" angle. . . .then again, RM doesn't really allow you to just decide to pump iron until you get to 100 strength. (Sometimes the "Potential" mechanic conflicts with reality.)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
Re: Body Encumberence (Skinny/Fat/Stocky/Normal)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »
In most fantasy fiction (can there be fantasy fact?) most "heroes" end up lean and mean at the end if they are fit, or very lean and starving if not everything went according to plan. The standard tables obviously go for a generic ideal weight/height/build mix which are not influenced by the characters strength bonuses, or constitution either when it comes down to it. Con could certainly be badly effected by being overweight.

Another use for that Stress Critical table ;)

Perhaps for every +5 Str above the normal ratial modifier the weight could be increased by a level. The reverse would not be true though (unless the unfortunate character has picked up a wasting disease) so if the character had a -5 Str mod below the ratial modifier weight would not normally be reduced.

On the plus side assuming the character is not wearing armour he will have more trouble sinking in water ;D

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »
Remember a big muscular hero can weigh in at close to 300lbs if he's on the taller side of things.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
The encumberence rules already allow you to apply your ST bonus to your encumberence, so what I meant up there is this:

Say for 6'2' the "correct" weight is 200#.
Encumberence "units" are 10% of weight, so if we stick to the 200# those are 20#.

6'3" 260# would put you 260-200 = 60# "overweight".
60#/20# = 3 units over, or a -20 penalty.

But you may apply your ST bonus to negate part or all encumberence penaty, so if your ST bonus was +20 you'd ignore this.

Of course, this means if you're carring 20# of gear, and have a +20 st, you'd now be at -25 + 20 = -5 penalty due to encumberence.

It's one of those things where the devil's in the details of how you apply it.

On the flip side, my brother in law is 6'4" and under 150#. . .he's absurdly tall and skinny. how would you work that?

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
We used overweight as a 'flaw' with the value of the 'flaw' based upon how much 'encumbrance' the excess weight counted as.

Don't remember the exact numbers but we didn't use actual weight, just encumbrance levels (with the more encumbrance levels, the flaw level increased).

We found encumbrance based upon charcater weight problematic so we tended to ignore actual character weight and based uncumbrance upon strength (with modifiers for 'size' of race; i.e. a pixie carries less than a human; a giant carries more than a human).

DonMoody