Author Topic: Old problem with fire spells...  (Read 7202 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Old problem with fire spells...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
LordMiller wrote:
Thank god both spells have "Inanimate". . .it only takes like 10-15 points of body temperature increase to kill you.

And less to cause permanent drain bamage.....

PiXeL01 wrote:
I seem to recall Don and Duffing rules were in Arms Companion including a skill to do it faster. Of course those could have been a continuation from one of the Companions.

Please lets not do it as another skill. Lets use their existing skills and just put together a normal time for donnng/doffing armor and how much they can decrease it by, by how well they roll.

I am finally getting 2 friends to play RM/SM only by limiting the number of skills needed to do things. Lets not scare even more potential players away by adding even more skills.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
The heavy AT 20 with a key and a squire needed to get you out I'd call "Find some water fast" in this situation.

Other than that, if you assume the person wearing the armor (Or helping them) is willing to destroy the armor to get out of it, I'd call it a moving maneuver roll, with the mod as Self Discipline Bonus. (Takes will to grab hot stuff even if it's the only way to live.)

The designate a column for the AT. . .like perhaps "Absurd" for non articulated plate, then work down from there.

You need a total of "100% sucess" to get out the armor. Armor, even after cooling, is considered unwearable until repaired.

No need for a new skill.

The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
I would agree with LM's suggestion on how to handle it for removing armor at speed. And don't have it be an all-or-nothing roll, use a cumulative method. Roll, and the number in the result is added to the number of the result in the next round, etc. Once you have a total of 100 or greater in the numbers you added together, the armor is off. (Note: this would be with destroying the armor in the process).

I would also suggest a minimum difficulty of Extremely Hard for a full suit (or a cuirass/shirt/breastplate). Other pieces of armor might take less time or be an easier maneuver.

Otherwise, it just takes time (that is not measured in rounds) to take off a full suit of armor.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
Someone used Heat Solid on someone in armor.

Hmmm...I posted this once but apparently it didn't take.  If it pops up twice just ignore one (or both) of them.

By golly, I think that's it, LM!  I looked that up during lunch and it seems to fit all the characteristics of his frustration.  I had asked him about the situation again this morning and he said that he remembered they had to make some form of judgement call in the end and that would make sense since the temperature tables weren't in RM2.

The good news is that this issue was indeed taken care of in RMC.  So it looks as though I will indeed be able to use this as a good example of how RMC has improved.

Excellent!  It was a long shot and <swish>...nothin' but net for LM.  Thanks!
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »
yer welcome.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »
Simple guidelines on armor removal would be nice, even if it does make minutes or an absurd amount of rounds.

Hmm, makes me want to create a spell for don and duffing *Puff!* your armor is on the floor. Quite nasty attack spell actually. Does one exist already.?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:57:00 PM by PiXeL01 »
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »
Hmm, makes me want to create a spell for don and duffing *Puff!* your armor is on the floor. Quite waste attack spell actually. Does one exist already.?

Not that I know, but one of my NPC had such an armor
(It should have been a surprise, when the barbarian PCs surrounded a nake knight who called for his squire and his armor. I hoped they laugh about him - until he was magically armored ;D ; but we quited playing before this happened  :( ).

I simply applied the Returning ability of thrown weapons to armor,
but it was a special design not common available !
It was of course for the plate part of the armor and they were magically kept in place.
A dispel spell might doff the armor fast.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »
"Unarmor". . . .actually an interestng spell. . .F with an RR, tears your armor off.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »
My though exactly ;)

Btw isnt it the Armsmaster who has spells for don and duffing armor or is that on a special list in CompVII

Sorry for the derailing btw
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
It's on topic, though tangential. . .I think the MM to 100% is about the best "generic" answer we'll get short of domeone doing detailed rules.

An anti armor list would be interesting.

Unarmor
Lock Joints (only works on complete armors)
Heat Armor
Cool Armor
etc

Something like a Hashishin assassin semi quazi nightblade who's career is directed against something like Crusader Knights.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »

Unarmor
Lock Joints (only works on complete armors)
Heat Armor
Cool Armor
etc

In a kind of way those spells do exist:

Sorceror Base Solid Destruction contains: Shatter, Umetal, Solid Destruction True.

Closed Mentalist Solid Manipulation: Bow Break, Blade Break.

I would allow to apply Bow Break against some of the armor straps.
Maybe the caster need experience (Spell Mastery) to know how to rip down the armor.
But imagine someone "shatter"s your armor piece by piece.

"Heat Solid" exsits on different lists.

OK, a new anti armor list will combine the different spells.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 02:02:35 AM »
There was a list called Rending Ways in spell users comp pg.67          It had shatter / rip / tear  spells. Not designed for combat but......
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 05:46:05 AM »
I seem to recall Don and Duffing rules were in Arms Companion including a skill to do it faster. Of course those could have been a continuation from one of the Companions.

It has been an issue in our campaigns not to have access to Don and duffing rules, or at least just the period of time needed to put on an armor. I hope they will be including in the Combat Companion as well

Yes The Arms Companion have the Don and duffing Armor rules and a new skill for them.
However, since there're skills enough in the system, I normally use the Maneuvering in Armor skill instead, which simplifies things a lot.

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)