Author Topic: Base Casting Roll in RMC  (Read 3054 times)

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • You wouldn't want to hurt me, now, would you?
Base Casting Roll in RMC
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:05:50 PM »
Okay, quick question about casting spells in RMC.

If I understand correctly:

1 - If I cast an attack spell (e.g. "Sleep V"), I roll on the "Base Spell Attack Table" (SL p. 268) and then use the Resistance Roll Table to see if the target is affected
2 - If I cast an elemental attack spell I roll directly on the relevant table (e.g. "Ice Bolt") and apply the results
3 - If I cast any other type of spell I do simply a Base Casting Roll: if I roll 03-100, my spell works

(Question 1) So I only roll Base Casting Rolls when casting non-attack, non-elemental attack spells. Is that correct?

(Question 2) Now, what if I am Overcasting an elemental attack spell (Option 10.4)? Would I have first to roll a Base Casting Roll to see if the spell works and then after that roll on the relevant elemental attack table?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bocklin

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Base Casting Roll in RMC
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »
(Question 1) So I only roll Base Casting Rolls when casting non-attack, non-elemental attack spells. Is that correct?

Not quite. Your Base Casting Roll refers to any spell casting roll (non-elemental - not really positive about this as the rules are slightly vague). How that roll is resolved is different for each though.

(Question 2) Now, what if I am Overcasting an elemental attack spell (Option 10.4)? Would I have first to roll a Base Casting Roll to see if the spell works and then after that roll on the relevant elemental attack table?

This may actually require a ruling from ICE. As I said, the rules are kinda vague there.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
One of the nice things about the ESF rules. . .

We changed them so they EXPAND the failure rate, rather than requiring a seperate roll.

So, if you are using the ESF options for overcasting, and overcast with say a 20 ESF penalty.

For BSC:
The 01-02 failure rate goes to 01-22. . .23 and up succeeds.

For BAR
The failure rate is variable on the table based on armor factors. . .find the right column, then pull the "F" results up the table 20 points. (so if you "f" at 01-07, you now "f" at 01-27)

For EAR
The failure rate is given on the table, pull the "f" results 20 up the table just like BAR.

I know that might not be 100% clear, but that was the intention.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »
For BAR
The failure rate is variable on the table based on armor factors. . .find the right column, then pull the "F" results up the table 20 points. (so if you "f" at 01-07, you now "f" at 01-27)

That's where the fails are, but what about damage etc? Shouldn't it just be treated as a -20, so that 1 over the minimum success(for example, 28) hits/misses like an 8?
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 03:49:39 PM »
Based on the logic of the original system, in which ESF required an extra roll to overcome. . .then letting you cast normally if you suceeded, with no mods.

Essentially, the ESF stuff makes doing it more complicated, so either you do it well, or you blow up. . .

So, without ESF, you do a sloppy 23 roll and it still goes off, but either misses, or barely hits.

With ESF, you do it sloppy at 23, you fail.

You roll a 99 or 100 either way, and it's a spectacular success.

it's not a mod to spell casting difficulty, it's a mod to spell casting failure. . .you are taking more risks and cutting corners or pushing your abilities beyond their limits. . .the odds of success do not change, but the odds of failure go up, and the penalties for failure go up at the same time. (ESF mods to the spell failure table are ugly.)

Well, actually, if you accumulate 98 or more ESF on a single spell, without some sort of bonus to balance it out, you now fail on an UM 01-100, so in that instance, the odds of success are 0%.

that make more sense?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:18:04 PM by LordMiller »

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »
An aside example used on me, comparing it to weapons.

It's like pulling off a trick with a sword swinging it arond your body and slashing someone. . .it's not a -20 penalty to OB, it's a +20 to the fumble range. . .it's doing something the wrong way, so your odds of hacking your own foot off increase, but if you get it right you can still top the chart off and decapitate the foe. . . .

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »
That is how I read it, LM. 
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • You wouldn't want to hurt me, now, would you?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:13:36 AM »
An aside example used on me, comparing it to weapons.

It's like pulling off a trick with a sword swinging it arond your body and slashing someone. . .it's not a -20 penalty to OB, it's a +20 to the fumble range. . .it's doing something the wrong way, so your odds of hacking your own foot off increase, but if you get it right you can still top the chart off and decapitate the foe. . . .

Thanks! It makes a lot of sense to me now.

And I guess having one roll less is a blessing, considering the numbers already required in a session.