Author Topic: Scratch-n-Dent Sale Books... Just how scratched?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline valmarik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Scratch-n-Dent Sale Books... Just how scratched?
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:36:14 PM »
How dinged up are these guys?

Just kind of wondering. I have all of the PDF's, but now I want the hardcover versions and really don't want something that scratched or chopped up.

Can anyone give me an idea of what condition they are in?

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: Scratch-n-Dent Sale Books... Just how scratched?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:17:31 AM »
I haven't bought anything from the current Scratch and Dent offerings, but I did buy some in a previous offering and honestly they weren't much more damaged than what I would expect for most stuff delivered through the mail, they are perfectly usable books and probably in better shape than most books will be after a few gaming sessions anyway.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline ICEBruce

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:20:21 AM »
The majority of the SnD books have one thing wrong with them- dinged corners.  By dinged I mean slightly bent or crumpled.  None of them have damage enough to be structurally unsound.

Usually the damage happens when UPS treats a box a little roughly and one corner is hit hard and a few books get those dinged corners.

Some hardcovers have small laminate bubbles that won't spread etc.  Occasionally books end up in SnD due to other reasons but mostly its dinged corners.

What these books don't have are damage spines, reduced structural integrity, etc.   They basically look like a book after you have used it for a while and thats it.

I won't sell a book I would not use myself, but these are not books I can ship honestly as "new" as they don't look like it.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:23:07 AM »
My one S&D book was a CL hardbound, which looked, when it arrived, about how a hardcover looks after I own it for a week. Slight compression of the ends of the spine corners, and the top, outer front corner of the cover bent/curled in slightly. About 10 trips in and out of the bookcase and my clean books look like that. (Forget trips to and from games in a duffel bag, where the fabric grinds off the color of the corners.)

Essentially, it was not "mint". . . if I'd not known it was an S&D copy, I might not have noticed.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »
The batch of S&D's that I got looked better than the hardback and softbacks I have on my shelves ... it's simply as LM says - they don't look "mint" - but I've seen much worse sold as "Mint" or "New"

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
I bought some of the S&D books for RMC and I was really pleased.

Great way to get an excellent product and save a little cash.

Offline valmarik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:07:30 PM »
Okay, guess this is what I will order then. Thank you guys muchly.

Offline valmarik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:12:47 PM »
Done!

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »
My friends and I orders a few classic RM books in a single order this way. Arms Law we really couldn't find a flaw on, spell law had a tiny ding on the corner, players law if you looked at it with a glare of a light you could see some scratches on it, ironicly the new creatures and treasures book was the one in the worst shape. It looked like UPS droped the box or something one of the corners was dinged up on it, a bit more than the spell law one was. It just ended up having the most visible damage of all the books.

So I would say anyone thinking about it but wasn't sure to go ahead and buy them as they will be in what typical shape most books arrive when mail ordering them.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:19 AM »
I see that you have already decided to purchase the SnD but just to reiterate what others have said above in case others are considering the purchase. . .Buy the SnD.

I have about bought about 10-12 SnD books and like Bruce says they have a ding on the corner or a scratch.  No worse for wear than after a few gaming sessions of passing them around the table.  And they are an especially good deal if you have the LE versions of the books but don't want those to get messed up.  Also, great for having extra copies at the table.

Offline ICEBruce

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »
I did not have any SnD C&Ts and they are not even up for sale so that dinged C&T was indeed shipping damage.  Claim in an email if you want a replacement.    Scratch and dent is NOT synonymous with "books that will fall apart" in my mind.  They are just books that have minor flaws or are not mint.  Sometimes for pretty minor stuff that only someone who is looking for it can find.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
Just want to expand slightly on what Bruce said...

Scratch-n-Dent == not mint

If a book looks like it is going to fall apart, it does NOT go into the Scratch-n-Dent pile, it goes into the garbage can.

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
Yeah it was obviously from the box it got dropped or something as the bottom corner of the box was dented in some and the C&T was the bottom book. Thanks for the offer of a new book but it is in good shape just one corner is a little dinged. I placed a stack of books on it and left it there for a day, now you can barely see where it got dented.

Sides it was shipping dmg not ICE screw up so no biggy. But thanks for the offer.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »
Heheh, I can recall so many long, frustrating conversations about actual thrashed products that usually resulted in a hang up or a long wait on hold without actually getting anywhere. . .it's refreshing to encounter somone who'll actually stand by their product.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
On a side note, one of my cats loves the shipping box with all the shredded paper in it. It has become her favorite place to sleep now.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 05:44:24 AM »
I brought three scratch-n-dent books from ICE. In two of them I notice a small dent in the corner that could be easily found in any book opened a couple of times. I failed to find any problem in the third book.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 07:03:31 AM »
Yep, same here, they look quite good. In fact they recently arrived at my doorstep on my birthday(which they where actually my b'day present) freaky.