Author Topic: Creative, but not necessarily allowed spell use  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
Creative, but not necessarily allowed spell use
« on: October 04, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
I was going through some of my old game notes when I came across one about that Magus Spell Great Command, you know the one where the magus can speak a 5 word command to a target. Quite powerful really.

The command was : You shall never be afraid. This was cast on someone who routinely failed fear checks. Sadly the spell failed and was not recast so no decision on whether this would work was made. What do people think?

Another variation on this, locally termed the "Master option" from Dr Who Fans in the group was : You will obey only me" This one did work but had some unexpected side effects when a noble gave the poor recipient of this command an order to get out of the way. Naturally the poor person refused as the noble was not the spell caster. The final consequences had a veil drawn over them.

I was wondering about others experiences with players using spells creatively. :)
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Creative, but not necessarily allowed spell use
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
I suspect the first would result in "Terrible Fearlessness" ala the old RM2 BGO. Perhaps worse.
"A thousand Orcs? I charge!" only works if you're Groo, sometimes fear is good.

Hmm, creative?

Take an acorn, walk up to the castle wall, stick acorn in crevice, cast the higher level plant growth on it to get a "Fully mature" Oak Tree. . .watch as the questing roots and weight of wood tear a nice breach in the wall.

A recent suggestion from another thread: Purchase a giant steak or any other dense food material, use shrink. . .feed to foes. . .cancel spell duration. . .they should be at least discomforted, likely injured, perhaps killed.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »
Boil liquid wouldn't work on blood (because it's not considered inanimate) but what about a pint of water someone just drank and which is still in their stomach?

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 12:41:24 AM »
Boil liquid applied to a targets canteen or water bag. Wait till it boils, the canteen ruptures spraying boiling water and steam then liberally apply steam critical. I would allow the target a perception roll to see if they noticed that canteen hanging from their belt was getting "warm".

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:56:20 AM »
Fireball on your artificier friend with a backpack full of explosives... No, wait!  :-\ maybe this is not proprerly "creative" but it still keep happening in my games...  ::)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:47:23 AM »
The Forum Archives contain a thread Misuse of spells on the same topic.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 01:34:07 PM »
Rule of thumb

Don't fumble a spell in the centre of an Earth Node if you have an evil GM :)

Tried to light a campfire, blew the top of a neighbouring hill off!

Alternate heat solid and cool solid on metal doors then hit with heavy object.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 04:15:16 PM »
how about just particularly evil?
my first rm game, the party mage, who was an archmage, was being charged by a big fighter type in plate AT. First, he Cracks Call'ed the ground underneath and the guy fell in. Then he Heat Solid'ed(probably the very hot one) the armour. Then he did a spell that generated a bunch of sand, if I remember right, burying the poor guy.
*shudder*
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
From time to time I cast invisibility on doors, when sneaking around. That way you can se whats on the other side and if the bad guys charge me, there's have a pretty solid door they can run into, while I get away :)
In general Rolemaster have a lot of very usefull low-level spells that can be used in many ways and I love it when I or my players find a new way to use a spell.

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 03:21:45 AM »
Yeah, that's a popular use for unseen. Low level spell and you can make enough invisible to peak through.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 03:21:39 AM »
The command was : You shall never be afraid. This was cast on someone who routinely failed fear checks.
What do people think?

What if he gave him the command "You shall know advanced algebra", would he?
If he commanded him "You shall be able to fly"?
"You can kill gods with your thumb" (This one clearly would not work since it's more than 5 words)

The command means that the target will try to obey, but it does not magically give him new powers. It can not make him immune to fear, make him stop bleeding and so forth. What it may be able to do is to make the recipient believe that he has the ability. The target will think he is immune to fear. He will boldly go into the haunted house. But when the ghosts fear aura hit him he will be running for mommy just like last time.
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
Is possible you'd end up with "Conflicting spell resolution"

i.e. Command Level vs Fear level RR contest.

Command wins, no Fear.

Fear wins, Fear.

It is a permenant effect, much like a charm.

A cruel GM might just combust you. (The conflicting unnatural impulses of fear/no fear. . .roll an E stress critical.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
I think TomOBedlam has the right take on it.  A friendly GM may give a RR bonus to represent the "enhanced mindset" of the target, and of course, once the fear wears off, the target would deny he had ever been afraid ("I did not run!  I was achieveing a tactically superior position you fool!).

Then the GM should combust him, lol.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
A Mentallist in a game I was GMing cast a Door spell onto the torso of a brass golem.  Then they opened the door, and the golem overbalanced.