Author Topic: Martial Arts vs Large/Super Large  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Martial Arts vs Large/Super Large
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:06:48 AM »
I was looking over the books last night, and couldn't find any exception rules for unarmed attacks, did I miss something?

If you use Martial Arts Strikes or Sweeps on a Large or Super Large creature, it just resolves normally, with the critical rolled on the "Normal" column of the Large Creatures or Super Large Creature table?

I guess you'd change the prose to make the result make sense, but associating those results with Sweeps seems strange.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Martial Arts vs Large/Super Large
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:41:58 AM »
The old Arms Companion IIRC contained separate critical tables for Martials Arts attacks against Large or Super Large Creatures. These tables e.g. contained results that you could break your leg when trying to sweep a dragon  ;). IMO much better than using the normal (weapon) tables against Large or Super Large creatures. These just don't make sense for Martial Arts attacks. Perhaps also a thing that could be resolved with the Combat Companion. Currently the official RMC/RMSS/RMFRP rules IMO just don't have a good critical resolution for MA attacks against Large or Super Large Creatures.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
Yes, I use those too. Very usefull :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »
For MA Strikes, using the LA or SL tables make sense, at least as much sense it does for other weapons. A dagger crit does the same damage as a two-handed sword crit on the same roll. Unless you remake the table for all weapons or classes of weapons versus LA and SL I don't see a problem with MA Strikes using the same table.

For MA Sweeps we did things a bit differently. We allowed MA Sweeps against humanoid opponents (determined by GM), otherwise MA Strikes was the only option. If Sweeps was usable, we said that the creature is doing damage to itself with this table, so crits would be rolled on the normal tables modified by 2 columns. You would still need minimum crit damage to "affect" the creature.

For example, a Sweeps against a LA troll would still need at least a "B" table result. If a "B" occurred, the crit roll would be on the Sweeps crit table, A column at -20. "C" crit would be A column, etc. A SL creature would need at least a "D" result, and would be rolled on the "B" column.

This generally worked pretty well, may have provided a bit too much benefit to martial artists but the results benefited the party so... Now the big bummer was when they would meet a group of war trolls that were immune to stun, but that's bad in general even with normal weapons :)

feanor

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »
i suggest using arms companion table

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »
It would never occur to me to use a martial arts sweeping attack against a dragon.  How about 'Adrenal Move-Speed' to get your scrawny rear end out of his cave? :o
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"