Author Topic: Negatives affect Defensive Bonus (DB)  (Read 6994 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Negatives affect Defensive Bonus (DB)
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »
Common sense says yes. . .but it's a combined action with attacking. . .as I said, I play it as reducing the bonus, before the parry, but my read of the way things work says otherwise. . .

For instance, if you make a 50% action attack, that attack executes at -50, since you are using 50% less than 100% activity to attack.

If you have 30 OB, and devote 30 to parry while making a 50% melee attack, you get 30DB and attack at -50.

it does say "All of the target's bonuses (except DB and RR) are reduced by this amount.", but table 02-09 on page 17 lists "injured more than 25%", "... 50%", "... 75%" as OB only mods, just like the reduced activity penalty only applies to OB. . .I always took the cumulative hits penalties to reflect a gradual build up of minor injuries, the way the specific crit related penalties reflect singular signifigant injuries.

If the gradual build up of general injury are an OB only penalty, I'd think that means that the penalties from specific injuries are also OB only.

Regardless, I don't play that way, but I always thought that's what the rules meant.

Then again, it's not exactly 100% clear, so I could be mistaken.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »
 Well, we have always aplied the penality before the PC decides what they are doing that round. If a neg OB is the result, then obvousily they have nothing to switch to DB.

Also, is it in the rules or just a house rule that says you cant attack at all unless you have at least 1 positive point to put into that attack?

Allowing an attack with less than 1 point of OB seems silly.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 04:12:44 PM »
We don't count parry as a separate action than an attack as the parrying is just an aspect of the attack.

I do see the difference LM & V are discussing - do you take the penalty to the base skill or to the actual roll.  In this case addition would not be commutative as how you do it could change things around.

Not having the rules handy but often they refer to the 'usable OB' which I take to mean 'OB - penalties' so in this case the mods are to the skill itself, not to the roll which I think makes it a unique situation.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
Isint parrying an "action"? :-\

Not in game terms!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »
Common sense says yes. . .but it's a combined action with attacking. . .as I said, I play it as reducing the bonus, before the parry, but my read of the way things work says otherwise. . .

For instance, if you make a 50% action attack, that attack executes at -50, since you are using 50% less than 100% activity to attack.

This is one thing that has always bothered me.  An attack at -50 is probably not 50% of your actual skill but it apparently is 50% of your action.  Likewise if you attack at 60% (the minimum action in RMSS) it could very well be that the 40% is more than just the -40 but we use -40 for math purposes.  It flips around and subconsciously I make the conversions but it does make things a little confusing.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure that was a concious simplification made between RM1 and RM2, possibly the most signifigant single change. . .in RM1 a -20% modifier would reduce by -20%, so say a 20 skill would take a -4 (20%) penalty. It lead to a lot of problems, mostly in the instance of stacked bonuses and penalties. (Like did you total all modifiers then apply, or -10% then +20% then -10% then -10% then + 15% etc)

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »
Maybe this helps, from RMC AL page 31:
Calculating a character's OB/DB split is done after the modifiers for activity percentage and character condition have been applied.  Situational Modifiers, such as for foe's position, are applied after the OB/DB split has been made.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
Amazing, I looked it over a few times and skipped right over that. . . .that's not text from rm2 that I know of. . .looks like we corrected that goofy logic and I don't even recall doing it.

damn, wish we'd made changes to that 02-09 table to reflect that. . . injury and activity affect the bonus, not the OB. . .

Well, that clarifies all of that.

In that case, it seems like everything except the original question on this thread.

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
Amazing, I looked it over a few times and skipped right over that

I only found it because I was looking for something else.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »
 Searching by Zen.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?