Author Topic: RMU Talents Wings, Vestigial  (Read 421 times)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Talents Wings, Vestigial
« on: September 26, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
Is there a talent for functioning wings? I was thinking about creating the Traveller Droyne as a race, but ran into this roadblock. Maybe I can't find real wings or maybe its not a talent. Just wondering aloud. (and again with the Jethro Tull in my head. I will never stop it from playing in there)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: RMU Talents Wings, Vestigial
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 03:37:49 PM »
It's just not in the Core. I thought if we included flying races we would need to spend more time in the rules discussing flight. Wings for flying will be in Creature Law, performance based on tier, e.g. tier I is 20 DP, 30'/rnd, maneuver at -10 (to your flight skill), max pace of jog I think. Tier II 30 DP, 60'/rnd, maneuver at +0, max pace run.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:51:01 AM »
From playtesting (I made the Shadow World race Hirazi) I would suggest raising the cost of this talent for PCs. It is extremely powerful. Also, I wouldn't mind an awkward flight option that is slower than a normal PC's speed on foot -- the combination of being able to fly to avoid danger plus being just outright faster than anyone else in the party is very valuable.

Not so valuable when the enemy Magician casts Sleep on him, true, but that is an exception.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 09:36:20 AM »
Thanks for the information. I thought I was missing wings from my RMU re-read yesterday. I understand not putting in everything, because you would never get the book to print. I just wanted to try my hand at building a race that preceded man and didn't involve psionic or magic abilities; just high intelligence. The wings was just he first obvious thing that I started with. Not to worry; will look at another race to build.