Author Topic: Recovering from Stun  (Read 505 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Recovering from Stun
« on: September 18, 2023, 03:53:09 AM »
I have just finished reading both Core Law and Spell Law hard copies. I’m surprised at some of the changes from my beloved RM2, but all in all I’m sure it’s for the better.

One of the changes that really surprised me positively was how stun is being handled now.
That being said, I was confused about how to recover from it.
A passage from somewhere in Core Law (I cannot find it again) appeared to state that you can only recover from stun if you have not spent all your AP?

Is this correct? Or do you recover from stun no matter what?

Thank you in advance.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Recovering from Stun
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 08:48:37 AM »
I believe your answers can be found on pg. 161 and pg. 179.
Short answer, one 'Stun' effect drops at the end of the round no matter what, starting with the highest effect.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 09:26:53 AM »
I think p. 161 threw me off. It reads “… if combatant has spent less than 2 AP before being stunned.”

Does that mean you can only recover from stun if you have spent only a single AP that round? Sounds harsh
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 11:40:48 AM »
The idea is that, if you have already spent 2 AP -- in other words, two action phases have already passed -- you've really only been stunned for half a round, not a full round. So you don't get credit for having spent a round stunned.

It's not about the AP allocated, it's about action phases. Everyone is spending an AP every phase (outside of some special circumstances), even if they are spending it on standing around doing nothing.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 06:29:27 PM »
Got it. Thank you. For some reason I got the impression that stun technically could last forever.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 07:20:06 AM »
A house rule to deal with this that I use is: Do the bookeeping for each character right after they spent their last AP (though I use the "only 1 action phase" optional rule). That way, you don't loose track of who was already stunned for a round and who wasn't.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 06:29:33 PM »
My way of resolving it is just to keep the initiative order from round to round and use the 'Faster Rounds' option where each character spends all his/her action points for the round and then we move on to the next character.

When you do that, you can just ignore the rule about having spent 2 AP. Results that last 1 round just last until the active player's next turn.

Faster Rounds are really a lot simpler.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle