Author Topic: Streetwise  (Read 607 times)

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Streetwise
« on: August 29, 2023, 07:45:55 AM »
I've noticed that RMU doesn't specifically include a Streetwise skill. My thoughts were to just add it as a Social skill, but it seemed odd to me that it wouldn't be included already. So is there something I'm missing? How do you guys handle it in your game? Thanks.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Streetwise
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 08:25:24 AM »
Maybe under SOCIAL: Streetwise(Pr)?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 09:29:32 AM »
I actually don't think you need a specific Streetwise skill. That's why 5e DnD did away with the skill. You just use other skills like Insight.

Similarly, in RMU, you can just use other skills that are even more apt such as Lore (Region, History, Racial, etc.), Social Awareness, Influence (Charm, Duping, Intimidation), and Trading.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 10:04:20 AM »
I actually don't think you need a specific Streetwise skill. That's why 5e DnD did away with the skill. You just use other skills like Insight.

Similarly, in RMU, you can just use other skills that are even more apt such as Lore (Region, History, Racial, etc.), Social Awareness, Influence (Charm, Duping, Intimidation), and Trading.

Okay, I was wondering if that was where they were going with it... Thanks.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 10:15:24 AM »
My first thought was LORE:Underworld, but LORE is guided by Me+Me. I like SOCIAL because it seems like it might help me find the local street soldier/lieutenant/underboss. I am not sure memory would work in that endeavor. I like Em because it helps me perceive the intentions of the local street thug, In gives me the luck I will need in my search, and Pr allows me to blend in with the mob crowd.

Although I can understand LORE though. I have watched Red Reddington (Blacklist TV Show) too many times and know that he has a memory that goes back decades. He always remembers his friends and enemies and who might be coerced in his next plot.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
We have it under Survival: Urban Environment, but we use a heavily modified rule set.
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »
Why not just a Vocation skill?  Vocation: Trade (Thief) is already there.  So is Fence.

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 02:24:38 PM »
Why not just a Vocation skill?  Vocation: Trade (Thief) is already there.  So is Fence.

Ah, I had forgotten those were a thing. Thanks!

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
That's a good one also. I guess Raymond "Red" Reddington might have VOCATION: Service: Concierge of Crime (Pr).

I could see Streetwise fitting in Vocation also. Underworld managers might be administration, while bookies might be service, and bar owners and real estate investors might be trade.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »

Great idea!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 10:01:14 PM »
I also recommend a vocation. A vocation will tell you how people of that vocation normally operate, how to interact with them, and how to find them. It doesn't replace Influence or Trading once you have found them (or Perception to keep from becoming a victim), although it would certainly apply as a complementary skill.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster