Author Topic: Spell Triggers Arcane List  (Read 490 times)

Offline alexandregoes

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Triggers Arcane List
« on: May 03, 2023, 10:05:18 AM »
Hi Everyone.

In my last RMSS session we went to some discussion about the open arcane list "Spell Triggers" (5600 RMSS Arcane Companion, page 58).

The list deals with "Trigger" spells, which let use lvl 5 spell "Trigger V" to "spell store" a spell in a target, triggered by a specific action.

The controversy was about the lvl 1 and lvl 2 spells:

"1. Detect Trigger: Caster Becomes aware of any triggers within the area.  The caster may concentrate upon a 5' area each round."

"2. Analyze Trigger: Caster learn which spell is within a know trigger (the trigger must be detected with Detect Trigger first).  In addition, the caster will know what will trigger the spell."

These descriptions are very generic.  Does the "Detect Trigger" and "Analyse Trigger" detects and analyses only trigger spell from this list (5. Trigger V, 10. Trigger X, etc.), or can they be used to detect and analyze ANY spell, from ANY list, that have a trigger condition, ie. runes, bladerunes, wards, circles, signs, etc., or even single spells with triggers defined at time of casting, like "Waiting Illusion" (Illusion Mastery), "Waiting Summons" (Gate Mastery), "Waiting Flame" (Fire Law), "Contain Elemental" (Entity Summons), etc.?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Spell Triggers Arcane List
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 01:10:04 PM »
I think as written it is just for triggers from that list. But the alternative interpretation makes the spells a lot more interesting.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 07:27:41 AM »
I think as written it is just for triggers from that list. But the alternative interpretation makes the spells a lot more interesting.

Yeah.  Honestly what possible harm can come from the more open interpretation?  I would go for that were I GM.  It still requires player imitative, and increases engagement.

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 11:52:03 AM »
I assume it was written with the intent of applying only to triggers created by spells on this list originally, but I like the broader interpretation also.  In that use,  it might be worthwhile to make it very explicit that "triggers" cannot include mundane/physical/mechanical triggers (without there being a spell to be triggered stored in them)

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 02:02:50 PM »

So using the philosophy that every thing should have a counter (which implies a detect as well); I think it makes a lot of sense to be able to find stored and waiting spells using this list - otherwise they don't have a way to detect. 

In general casters don't make a lot of use of these sorts of spells they are quite narrow.