Author Topic: RMU: bonus armor and magical armor like e.g. from Sacred Protection spell  (Read 471 times)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Hi,

we're using the piecemeal armor option. During our recent first session our cleric mentioned that he could (via overcasting) grant AT 4 via the Sacred Protection I spell. So we wondered what would happen if on of our characters had a +15 AT 4 torso armor and then would like to have Sacred Protection grant him AT 4 also for his limbs and head. We had some options in mind:
a) Not allow the spell in such a case -> not really satisfactory.
b) The Sacred Protection works but grants AT 4 overall without a bonus -> makes protection worse for attacks to the torse and better for attacks to the limbs and head. Overall often not worth the PPs spent, depending on the basic armor bonus.
c) The Sacred Protection adds protection for limbs and head. As mentioned in the rules for piecemeal armor you have to roll the critical alongside the attack roll. If the critical indicates a hit to limbs or head then you look up the result without the +15 armor bonus, if it's to the torse then you use the result with the armor bonus -> to me this seems the best variant and to be in line with the piecemeal armor rules.

Opinions? Further options?

Thanks

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Just allow AT 4 (+15). He's taking the encumbrance for the torso armor (disadvantage vs. just using Sacred Protection). If the AT from Sacred Protection was better than that for the base armor, I'd probably not allow the bonus, or at least reduce it.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I would just go with option C, personally. It is cleanest, easiest, and most realistic, imho.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Thanks for your replies :-).

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
In general, you only get DB bonuses for torso armor, not from helms or limb protection. So if you have torso armor with +15 DB, and then add the same AT to the head and limbs, it would be sensible to give that +15 DB to all locations.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster