Author Topic: Hiatus XP Advancement Rules  (Read 593 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hiatus XP Advancement Rules
« on: April 13, 2023, 12:54:00 PM »
I want to advance my campaign approx 20yrs.

Does anyone have a system for slow xp/skill advancement and possible skill decline as chracaters age.
The party will be in more or less retirement mode for two decades but it is reasonable to expect they do gain some XP over this time period as it can be assumed they can still adventure and go on quests.
Gaiing a level or even more than one level of xp is possible but i dont want to give them too many extra Dev Pts as they r already level 7-8.

cheers for any suggestions how I might slowly advance PCs in retirement.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Hiatus XP Advancement Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 01:25:57 PM »
Decide what level you want them to start the new adventures at and raise them to that level. I don't see any reason to make it any more complicated than that.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »
RM2 has options for handling characters "of advanced age."  I'll have to dig it up, but it does exist.  I'll try to take a deep dive into it by the weekend.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 05:30:13 PM »
Couldn't modify my previous post.  Sorry

From RM2:
ChL&CaL - pg 81  Stat Reduction Due to Old Age gives a method for showing declination in stats for, well... old age, but you can adopt that for a long time off as well.

RMCII - pg 11  Out of Play Characters gives a method for handling PCs "out of play" or in "dead time."  The formula given is 5% / month + ME mod + SD mod for a chance the PC leveled up during the downtime and it goes into more detail based on category of skill and stats.

RMCIV - pp 30-31 Skills for Very Old Characters  The section starts off referring to a character who has been alive for 1000 years and decides to start adventuring, but the info that follows shows stats and info for a much "younger" PC ranging from 21-50 years, 51-500 years, etc.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 01:51:24 AM »
Decide what level you want them to start the new adventures at and raise them to that level. I don't see any reason to make it any more complicated than that.
That. And then, ask them how they justify their character having reached that level - or even better, weave part of the next campaign plot hooks into the background story of those years.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 11:55:48 AM »
That. And then, ask them how they justify their character having reached that level - or even better, weave part of the next campaign plot hooks into the background story of those years.
Same. Different GM's have different opinions of how quickly they think characters should level.
I think the story of what you say, or they say, they were doing is more important. Just bring the up to the level you want to.
Running games I will no longer bother with exp at all, I'll just tell the players when to level.  Lets you drive the pace of long term campaigns how you see fit.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 04:13:39 PM »

Boom! love it. campaign hooks and story arcs here they come...

I quite like the aging hero angle - Thanks Spectre. i might even initiate the reason they have advanced in age... magic controlled by a cable of mages who have their own agenda that links to an epic plot centred around a legenary character (perhaps an NPC the party must protect ala the terminator series or even a PC who through a series of events has become the number one enemy/threat to the mage cable... could be they are waiting for a specific celestial formation visible and a perfectly timed magical ritual is needed... maybe the PCs(PC) are/is used as a vessel to move the plot fwd abd they could be used unwittingly as a pawn by the cabal.... could they be related to the GGB or have a distant relative who was working for the BBG and the PCs bloodline is somehow essential for the ritual to take place.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 11:55:01 AM »

I quite like the aging hero angle - Thanks Spectre. i might even initiate the reason they have advanced in age... magic controlled by a cable of mages who have their own agenda that links to an epic plot centred around a legenary character (perhaps an NPC the party must protect ala the terminator series or even a PC who through a series of events has become the number one enemy/threat to the mage cable... could be they are waiting for a specific celestial formation visible and a perfectly timed magical ritual is needed... maybe the PCs(PC) are/is used as a vessel to move the plot fwd abd they could be used unwittingly as a pawn by the cabal.... could they be related to the GGB or have a distant relative who was working for the BBG and the PCs bloodline is somehow essential for the ritual to take place.

This is something similar to what I've been toying with for our next session.  I stick solely to Elemental Companion for all magic.  I've been thinking of pitting the party against a time mage.  Have each member randomly affected by a spell and they have to try to figure out why some of their party are moving super fast (seemingly) while others are barely moving at all (also seemingly), then have appropriate aging and stat change hit them when things settle down.  I think it will be tons of fun... for the GM :)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 10:53:26 AM »

This is something similar to what I've been toying with for our next session.  I stick solely to Elemental Companion for all magic.  I've been thinking of pitting the party against a time mage.  Have each member randomly affected by a spell and they have to try to figure out why some of their party are moving super fast (seemingly) while others are barely moving at all (also seemingly), then have appropriate aging and stat change hit them when things settle down.  I think it will be tons of fun... for the GM :)

cool!