Author Topic: Do poisons need to deliver a crit to take effect?  (Read 444 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Do poisons need to deliver a crit to take effect?
« on: March 24, 2023, 12:18:55 PM »
Or did I dream it? :) I thought i read that somewhere but I can't find it. Maybe it is a house rule. I can't remember if it's part of the core rules.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Do poisons need to deliver a crit to take effect?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 01:41:17 PM »
My house rule is that the attack has to do a minimum 1hp of damage for you to need to RR vs. poison. I dunno if there is a hard and fast RAW.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 07:44:07 PM »
In RM2, the Ch&CL's note about "enchanted herbs, breads and poisons price chart" clearly mentions that "if a poison paste is used and a critical is obtained, the foe must make a RR or he receives the effect; if the attack is merely hits (no crit), the poison is gone." and that a "liquid" is "as paste, except it remains effective for 1 hour."
It's in the section no one apparently ever read (or remembers), as I quoted it over and over again when it comes to poison (just as no one seems to remember that, for poisons, RM2 offers two alternatives to the RR method, the luck-based method and the constitution-based method…)
So, yeah, a critical is needed.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 10:30:56 AM »
Likewise RMSR pg 292. Same condition is noted in the poison section of Treasure Law for RMU (which isn't out, but just to be complete here). So that's every version.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster