Author Topic: what is Shattering? and Cleaving? refer RMCIII pg33  (Read 541 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
what is Shattering? and Cleaving? refer RMCIII pg33
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »
What is shattering and cleaving on the Innate Stat ability for STRENGTH?

refer RMCIII pg33

says '50% of all strikes made with blunt weapons are Shattering'

then says '50% of all strikes made with edged weapons are Cleaving'.

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: what is Shattering? and Cleaving? refer RMCIII pg33
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 01:42:05 AM »
I've wondered about this for years, but I never had a character get high enough to qualify for that stat pick to work it out with my GM. (The Hulking Frame option with additional Impact crits also doesn't specify if they're of the same level or less.)

I've not found anything mentioned in another companion, in Space Master, or in the pre-red band Arms Law that defines "Shattering" or "Cleaving." Maybe they double the damage given in the Krush or Slash crits? Maybe it's based on some other game system's definition from around the same time (by 1988)? Maybe it was meant to be defined in an optional rule and just overlooked?

If anyone knows how to contact Chris Stone (the author of that section of RMC3) maybe he can clarify it?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 05:42:35 AM »
We used RMC-I to extrapolate down to the root as the Cavalier I play has Strength B-Pick and Shieldbreaker Battle Axe and we needed to work something out.  It seemed to work for everyone in the group, it may help here.

RMC-I Page 58 has "Shieldbreaker" as a weapon which references "Sword and Armor Slayer" which in turn references "Swordslayer."

Swordslayer states "When the sword directly strikes the enemy's weapon, the enemies weapon must resist a 20th level attack spell or be destroyed."

The Krushing weapons would shatter the weapon and Slashing weapons would cleave through.  If there is no shield or weapon, the target's armour makes the RR.  After the armor fails, the bones and limbs would take the damage.  50% chance to destroy the foe's weapon/shield/armor is pretty good.  Magical items received a higher RR to resist the breakage.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 06:23:29 AM »
RM2 III mentions Rune of Cleaving, make RR or be severed.

I think there are some spells with similar effects, my take on this is:

50% of all strikes are cleaving means if a critical is scored and mentions a body part then on roll 1- 50 this can be subject to being immediately severed. Save RR possible depending if armoured and quality.

If no specific body part mentioned then on a roll of 1 - 50 it's 30% chance it's defender weapon broken,  70% shield and arm are cut in two, save RR possible due to magic and BF/STR of items.

I think shatter works the same as cleaving except instead of severing it is using crushing to rend the item / limb useless.
e crits all round

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 08:38:37 AM »
We used RMC-I to extrapolate down to the root as the Cavalier I play has Strength B-Pick and Shieldbreaker Battle Axe and we needed to work something out.  It seemed to work for everyone in the group, it may help here.

RMC-I Page 58 has "Shieldbreaker" as a weapon which references "Sword and Armor Slayer" which in turn references "Swordslayer."

Swordslayer states "When the sword directly strikes the enemy's weapon, the enemies weapon must resist a 20th level attack spell or be destroyed."

The Krushing weapons would shatter the weapon and Slashing weapons would cleave through.  If there is no shield or weapon, the target's armour makes the RR.  After the armor fails, the bones and limbs would take the damage.  50% chance to destroy the foe's weapon/shield/armor is pretty good.  Magical items received a higher RR to resist the breakage.

nice! cheers

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 08:40:02 AM »
RM2 III mentions Rune of Cleaving, make RR or be severed.

I think there are some spells with similar effects, my take on this is:

50% of all strikes are cleaving means if a critical is scored and mentions a body part then on roll 1- 50 this can be subject to being immediately severed. Save RR possible depending if armoured and quality.

If no specific body part mentioned then on a roll of 1 - 50 it's 30% chance it's defender weapon broken,  70% shield and arm are cut in two, save RR possible due to magic and BF/STR of items.

I think shatter works the same as cleaving except instead of severing it is using crushing to rend the item / limb useless.

awesome. i like it.

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 10:02:43 PM »
What is shattering and cleaving on the Innate Stat ability for STRENGTH?

refer RMCIII pg33

says '50% of all strikes made with blunt weapons are Shattering'

then says '50% of all strikes made with edged weapons are Cleaving'.

It comes from some background options in RMSS.   Shattering allowed you to break a targets bone on "a hit" i.e. shatter bone effect.

Cleaving completely severed the limb.

yes..
BRUTAL..
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~