Author Topic: Excel Help for Character Sheet  (Read 953 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Excel Help for Character Sheet
« on: August 03, 2021, 12:15:31 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone can help, but I'm trying to update my RMU character sheet (Excel) to autocalculate max pace from a character's total weight carried as a percentage of their own body weight. I've modded my own ideal values to be this (homebrew):

0 to 15% Weight Allowance = 4x max pace
16 to 30 WA = 3x max pace
31 to 60 WA = 2x max pace
61-90 WA = 1x max pace
91-151 WA = 0.5x max pace

So, on the character sheet, I am trying to figure out a formula to calculate max pace from weight allowance. Here's what I've entered:

=IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<16, 4, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<31, 3, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<61, 2, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<90, 1, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40>90, 0.5)))))

Whenever I do this, though, Excel tells me 'You've entered too many arguments for this function'. I've checked and I don't think I have too many brackets. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Excel Help for Character Sheet
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 04:38:12 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone can help, but I'm trying to update my RMU character sheet (Excel) to autocalculate max pace from a character's total weight carried as a percentage of their own body weight. I've modded my own ideal values to be this (homebrew):

0 to 15% Weight Allowance = 4x max pace
16 to 30 WA = 3x max pace
31 to 60 WA = 2x max pace
61-90 WA = 1x max pace
91-151 WA = 0.5x max pace

So, on the character sheet, I am trying to figure out a formula to calculate max pace from weight allowance. Here's what I've entered:

=IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<16, 4, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<31, 3, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<61, 2, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40<90, 1, IF(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40>90, 0.5)))))

Whenever I do this, though, Excel tells me 'You've entered too many arguments for this function'. I've checked and I don't think I have too many brackets. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I guess you are trying to get the total of the range ‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40, if so need to write the formula as:
=IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<16, 4, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<31, 3, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<61, 2, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<90, 1, 0.5))))

Also the removal of the >90 IF question, as it is the answer for anything that is not <90, unless you want to add a 0x max pace for those above 151WA. The you would need to go with:
=IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<16, 4, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<31, 3, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<61, 2, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<90, 1, IF(SUM(‘Spells, Talents, Equipment’!N39:Q40)<151), 0.5, 0)))))

However this formula would suggest that every item is worked out as the % of weight allowance, which seems a lot of work to me. Would it be similar to have the total weight carried on the Spells, Talents, Equipment page, then have the calculated wight allowance and the % on the that page, then just draw this figure from a single cell into the max pace box, rather than drawing data from four cells?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »
Thanks so much for the help. When I pasted in your second formula, though, I got the message that there was a problem with the formula.

I am wondering if there is some problem with recognizing the second page ('Spells, Talents, Equipment') page. When I did what you suggested, and created a cell in the main page ('Character Sheet') that listed the relevant value from 'Spells, Talents, Equipment'), the cell just said '#SPILL". Note that this value was just expressed as a number (not a %). So I can't figure out why 'Character Sheet' is not recognizing a cell from the 'Spells, Talents, Equipment' page.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »
Ok, I think one issue is that for some reason I had the value in Spells, Talents, Equipment set to

=(D51/CharacterSheet!G3)*100

Rather than

=SUM(D51/CharacterSheet!G3)*100

Once I made that change, I got a simple value for the cell (O59) when I entered the formula into the character sheet. So, that was progress.

But I then changed the values in the formula to read O59 (from 'Character Sheet', the same page as the formula I am entering) thus:

=IF(O59<16, 4, IF(O59<31, 3, IF(O59<61, 2, IF(O59<90, 1, IF(O59<151), 0.5, 0)))))

Yet, it still did not work. I still got a 'There's a Problem with this Formula' notification.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
You've got an extra parenthesis at IF(O59<151)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 05:12:14 PM »
You've got an extra parenthesis at IF(O59<151)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Thank you, sir.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 12:54:46 AM »
Oh memories of creating a character sheet that did things like Auto-calculate diminishing returns.
Excel sheet hypnosis sets in after working on things like that for too long of stretches.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 08:53:28 AM »
I am a complete amateur, so things like this happen a lot.