Author Topic: Why is Companion VII so expensive  (Read 2220 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Why is Companion VII so expensive
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:02:32 PM »
 :o

I have one completed set of RM2 books and now I’m close to having a second one, you know in case the first falls apart.
The two books I need to complete the part of the collection I want would be Companion VII. Prices I-V were reasonable, VI was a little bit of a stretch but VII!?! Between 100 and 1,000 is dollars!?!

I have always wondered why this price.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Why is Companion VII so expensive
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
Because it has the Armsmaster class, which is awesome, and because it finally corrects the error in earlier companions' initiative systems that led some people to think Instantaneous meant an action took no activity %.

I'm joking of course. I have no idea.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »
You wrote the Armsmaster class, didn’t you?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
You wrote the Armsmaster class, didn’t you?

Haha, no, I just really like it, because I think it fills an important niche (a Mentalism user who wears heavy armor -- which makes sense given that Mentalism is the easiest spellcasting realm to use while wearing heavy armor). Companion VII actually lists who wrote what, so the Armsmaster was written by 'Ed Cassidy'. Also, Nicholas (the head of ICE currently) did the later Mentalism Companion, which included an updated version of the Armsmaster, with new spell lists.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
I checked my collection and I only have 1 but it looks like 2 others have gone missing, so I cant help you out.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 03:33:14 AM »
Thank you for checking. I have VI. I think I’ll pass on CT III and just hope that one day VII appears at an affordable rate
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
My guess would be availability. Being the last of them less were likely printed?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »
Maybe it also overlapped with the rollout of RMSS, meaning it became obsolete pretty quickly?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 02:03:37 PM »
It looks as if I am missing a complete set of RoCo 1-VII, CT 1-III I only have 1 set.

In general when I see old RM2 books the later RoCo's are books I tend to not see.

You may want to check out Powles City of Books in Portland, OR. I was in there quite a few years ago and saw quite a few old RM books, which I was very surprised to see.
Note: At the time they did not show a lot of RM2 books on line for some reason.

Good Luck

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 02:26:56 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-6-Rolemaster-RPG-Books-Dungeons-and-Dragons/154164585277?hash=item23e4ece33d:g:JHYAAOSwRtlfmPk6

The above is a link to EBay that has some core RM2 books that close today for a decent price.

I was very surprised to see the prices for RM2 books and I think I might sell some of my extras.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »
I got a mint condition here in Denmark for around 10 euro last year.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 08:15:25 PM »
Looking at prices and what is out there I am thinking about selling my 80+ Book; RM1, RM2, SM (RM2 ver) and MERP collection. I think just looking real quickly I should price it around $50 per book which would be around $4000 USD +shipping.
A good price per book as well as the fact that I do not think I am missing very many RM2+WL, SM2 (only the comp but I do have AA, SS and 3 SS ship books) and a few good MERP products. I sold my 3 MERP cities books back in the mid 90's for a very good chunk of $.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 09:47:28 PM »
I have a complete collection back in Denmark and after a 10 break I am rebuilding here in Japan. Sadly, used RM companions are rare and few in between over here.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 06:53:27 AM »
My friend just brought me a gift last weekend of most of RM2 books, including the core box set with the box in fantastic condition.  All of the books look unused.  He said he ordered it from an auction site (not eBay) and it was shipped from UK to the US.  He said the price was great but being a gift, he didn't say.  He saw the condition of the books I use and he thought it would be a great gift for me to keep as a "shelf copy" to go with the "working copies.  RMC-I actually has all of the pages still bound!  Seriously, the books look like they were never opened.

The books exist, and they can be found mostly in US and UK.  I've not found any great deals in Canada which is strange.  For Christmas 2018, I bought all of my regular players copies of RMC-II and Elemental Companion as gifts, four copies each, all in excellent condition.  It takes time, but you'll find them.

As for RMC-VI and VII, I have to agree with Corey Magel.  I think ICE just didn't print as many.  Of course I have no proof, but RMSS was coming out and focus seemed to have shifted to the new system.  Also, RMC-V and VI were "ok", probably not super sellers and perhaps ICE cut back on printing based on sales of those previous books.

For me, Finding a good copy of Sea Law was a challenge.  I have only one copy of that tome.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
SL, WL, Dark Space, Star Strike and Armored Assault are all hard to find and can be $$$ even when I was looking back in the late 90's for them.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Belgerond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 05:07:47 PM »
It would be interesting to know what would be value of my collection 98 real books. Included all Shadow World books, all Companions etc. ???
22 Years of Rolemaster or MERP as GM.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 05:03:03 AM »
OOP gaming books can be expensive -I know people who collect gaming books just to have them. I'll tell you one thing: I've had several gaming friends who have passed away and a good portion of their collections have been tossed by uncaring relatives or eventually found in Goodwill or Salvation Army stores. So make a will to have your treasures sent to a good home or sold at decent collectors' prices.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 04:31:29 PM »
Maybe it also overlapped with the rollout of RMSS, meaning it became obsolete pretty quickly?

RMCVII was 1993, RMSS came out 1995

But i remember that both RMCVI and RMCVII never had much circulation here in Austria.

Some of the Nordics still carry RM2 and MERP stuff for a steal.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 02:10:33 PM »
Wasn't it also packaged with a HERO system book - making it even less likely that someone might pick it up.