Author Topic: Arms Companion’s Tearing / Ripping Criticals  (Read 2257 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Arms Companion’s Tearing / Ripping Criticals
« on: February 20, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »
I’m converting one setting to RM2 and one of the setting’s weapons is basically a warhammer where the head form a double hook (Carrikal from Dark Sun). Now I was thinking to simply to use that attack table but with tearing/ripping instead of Puncture criticals.

However, voices of the past gave me pause, because I seem to recall that tear/rip criticals are quite devastating. Did I recall correctly? If so then maybe I’d reduce the level of the crits by as much as 2. Would that balance it more?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arms Companion’s Tearing / Ripping Criticals
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:27:50 PM »
My recollection is similar, and I sort of confirmed it by pulling that chart out. I had two situations where something like tearing/ripping would be appropriate, and made other choices each time. One was a special alloy that freezes to flesh when it strikes, below freezing, and I chose to make that a higher degree Slash crit, not a Tear/Rip. The other is an ice-spray spell, and I chose to go with the Acid crit table for that.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
Rip/Tear is particularly devastating.  It was created specifically to be used with the Tebuje sword; sword with jagged teeth like shark's teeth for example.  The bleed/round is naturally pretty bad.  The foe will probably bleed out before the battle ends.

I believe the crit severity is offset by the threshold at which crits are obtained and the fumble range for the sword which is 1-6. 

If you need more convincing, take a look at PeterR's sig   8)
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »
If you are converting Dark Sun, have you seen the RM Dark Sun conversion, 'Athas: the Ravaged World'? I won't link to it until I know that it doesn't break any copyrights, as it seems more than a little dicey, but if it is in any way kosher, I think it might be right up your alley.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:54 PM »
For something a little more manageable, there are several weapons in the C&T books that state "...also does an addition <crit-type> of same severity..."  Others state "... also inflicts additional A-<crit-type> same roll..."  or "...also inflicts <crit-type> 2 severities less..."

You could have the weapon being used "...also inflicts additional slash crit of <same/lesser> severity..." if it lands an initial crit.  Normally the additional crit is the same dice roll as the original crit, but I have seen weapon descriptions that allow a separate dice roll for the additional crit.  The additional slash crit will represent the damage of the hooks tearing the skin and should give you nice bleeding damage in addition to the Krush damage.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 12:09:28 AM »
I did read the Athas one. But he didn’t convert the races as I did in the past. That convention was basically all the information needed for creating characters without any core books. plus renamed spell lists which was why it breached 300 pages.

I cannot recall any weapons either. But I can give it a look again.

An additional slash critical might be the answer. Thanks again

PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »
Another idea i just had was to add the Tear/Rip once the user breaks 150. Originally the hooks wouldn’t come into play except from an expert user. That might simulate that if I’m to stay true to the source material.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 03:05:08 AM »
I’m converting one setting to RM2 and one of the setting’s weapons is basically a warhammer where the head form a double hook (Carrikal from Dark Sun). Now I was thinking to simply to use that attack table but with tearing/ripping instead of Puncture criticals.

However, voices of the past gave me pause, because I seem to recall that tear/rip criticals are quite devastating. Did I recall correctly? If so then maybe I’d reduce the level of the crits by as much as 2. Would that balance it more?

I always pictured Carrikal more like an axe than a warhammer, in brief one-shot adventure made in dark sun (wasn't using RM at that time, but it was still a conversion of the setting to another system) I used the battle axe as a template for it. So, in RM terms, I would go with slash criticals, eventually with krush or unbalancing secondary.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 07:04:41 AM »
You’re right. I just reread the fluff connected with the weapon and it’s a twin-headed axe that’s hooked.
So it wouldn’t be Warhammer, it’d be Hand Axe attack table. Hm. Memory is a fragile beast. I’ve always considered it to be a war club for some reason.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline Prince Finnion

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
Devastating!?

A) 76-80 roll says: Tear upper arm 10 hits, bleed 4/rnd. Foe at -20 for  3rnds.
It only gets worse from there up.
E) 56-60 roll will get you 4/rnd bleeding.

I played with a friend who used this table and I fought against one as well.  Very dangerous, but the crits are amazing.  "Look at that mess on the floor."

I am not at all familiar with the Carrikal but the google images does make it look more like an axe.  Perhaps instead of the Tearing/Ripping it should do additional base damage or crits from the axe attack tables with an extended fumble range due to its design?  I like the idea of using the 150 top out for additional damage too.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 03:52:44 PM »
I did read the Athas one. But he didn’t convert the races as I did in the past.

Yes, I was hoping he would convert races, but no luck.

I cannot recall any weapons either. But I can give it a look again.

He gives generic weapon charts and then (p. 99) gives weapon mods per armor type for Dark Sun weapons. I don't see a Carrikal though.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »
Devastating!?

A) 76-80 roll says: Tear upper arm 10 hits, bleed 4/rnd. Foe at -20 for  3rnds.
It only gets worse from there up.
E) 56-60 roll will get you 4/rnd bleeding.

I played with a friend who used this table and I fought against one as well.  Very dangerous, but the crits are amazing.  "Look at that mess on the floor."

Imagine even two average crit rolls, maybe an A and a B crit, the foe is bleeding at 7-8 per round.  That's a lot of blood loss.  Just parry every round and watch your for bleed out. Not to mention the Stun rounds that go with the crits.  :)  I love the Rip/Tear Crits, and the Vacuum crits.  Oh.. and the Vibration Crits. 

Oh!  And the Shrapnel Crits.

And the Steam Crits!

And Mangling Crits.  Don't forget those.  "Blast to groin destroys all vital organs."  :-\

And Neuro Crits. "Foe becomes mindless, drooling idiot for the rest of his days."  :confused:

But "No disintegration!" (As you wish).
What were we talking about again?

Radiation Crits? Plasma? Chaos?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »
The only think Rolemaster lacks is Toast crits.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
It should be called shark crit table!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »

"Toast lands buttered side up. Everyone stops and stares in amazement for one round."
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »

Back in the dark ages, when we only had the Rolemaster list-serve, someone posted a spell list for "Grilled Cheese Mastery."
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 02:25:57 PM »

Back in the dark ages, when we only had the Rolemaster list-serve, someone posted a spell list for "Grilled Cheese Mastery."

OMG, I think I remember that!!! I wonder if I printed it out.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
Was that the list with the spell that ensured that falling toast would always land with the cheese facing up?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
You're thinking of http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1999/aug/toastlaw.html
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 04:45:26 AM »
You’re right. I just reread the fluff connected with the weapon and it’s a twin-headed axe that’s hooked.
So it wouldn’t be Warhammer, it’d be Hand Axe attack table. Hm. Memory is a fragile beast. I’ve always considered it to be a war club for some reason.

That's an easy mistake since Dark Sun has a lot of weapons specific to the setting, and more than one is similar to a club. You may have in mind the Trikal, for example, that is more similar to a mace. I won't post the link, because I'm not sure if it breaks any copyright, but a quick search on google images for "dark sun weapons" will show you many pictures of the various weapons, both original and fan-made drawings.
I have always loved Dark Sun, the only thing I didn't like were the races: it was a very specific setting, exotic and different, so it would have deserved his own races instead of the classic elves, dwarves, halfling, etc. I know they were heavily reworked, but still they could have pushed it a little further.