Author Topic: Spell Mastery  (Read 942 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Mastery
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
What sorts of things have you done or seen done with Spell Mastery?
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Prince Finnion

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell Mastery
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 03:27:23 PM »
I've used it for spell shaping such as earth wall or water wall.  Make it narrow and tall, or turn it to fill a hallway, perhaps make a round stone wall and roll it down the hill...

With Fire Law perhaps you could change a Fire Ball's shape?  Send out a horizontal fire line that is 1 foot high and 30 feet wide hitting everything in its path.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:45:02 PM »
What sorts of things have you done or seen done with Spell Mastery?

I just use it as a generic bonus rather than altering the effect of a spell.

The Spell Mastery total skill bonus for a character is used to minus from a spell failure roll. It is developed on a per spell basis.

(For Spell Expertise (RM2 IV p.35) I've got with each rank reduces failure range to minimum of 1, developed per spell).
e crits all round

Offline KPadish

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:35:44 AM »
I've seen it used to create visual effects, like a fireball in the shape of a demonic head.  This has the added effect of demoralizing the enemy (whether or not you take that into account) and of making it memorable, especially useful for propaganda purposes.

I've seen it used to reduce (but not completely eliminate) the degree of concentration needed for some spells, allowing the mage to chew gum and walk at the same time.