Author Topic: Threat levels  (Read 933 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Threat levels
« on: February 18, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
I've got an adventure in the works and need to stat up some NPCs. What's a good level for opposition to a 1st level party. Particularly I'm thinking of a few set encounters.

• Thugs: these may end up being sicced on the PCs by the head of a burgeoning thieves' guild. He'll try to get the to come in for questioning first, but I'm betting a few PCs will balk at it.
  • Sorcerers: there are three apprentices to a 20th level sorcerer that the PCs will almost definitely encounter. It's likely they'll be in the same encounter. For the record, we've reduced spell prep by one round, which makes enemy and PC casters more powerful, especially if magical languages are involved.
  • Orcs: there are one or two acting as guards for the sorcerers. There is another group of them in a hideout in the nearby mountains.

I'd like these to be balanced. They will probably encounter #1 one day, #2 and #3 another, and #4 a final day. So there will be some time to heal and regain PPs in between.

I'm fine using standard stats for anything else they get a wild hair to look around for. If it ends up being more than they can handle, there's always "run away!"

I'll be building the thugs and apprentices as full characters since that works better for NPCs in ERA. The thugs will all be carbon copies of one another. The apprentices will be distinct and have different spell lists. They'll know appropriate magical languages and be able to cast spells at level - 3 every round, as otherwise they'll probably fall over dead in the prep rounds.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Threat levels
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Ignore the part about making them from scratch. I just realized it's possible to add spell lists to creature templates in ERA so I'll do it there. That's a ton easier!

Still curious about levels, though.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »
How many players in the 1st lvl Party and what is the makeup of it(ie. all Battle Tanks/etc.)?

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:26:58 PM »
How many players in the 1st lvl Party and what is the makeup of it(ie. all Battle Tanks/etc.)?

7 players. We haven't made characters so don't know the exact makeup. Definitely one fighter, one bard, and one magician. There will almost certainly be a healer, cleric, or lay healer because I'll stress the importance of having someone who keeps you from dying. Almost certainly a dual wielding rogue.

The rest will probably be a mix of spellcasters and warriors / rogues / thieves.

Basically I'm expecting a fairly balanced party between melee, magic, healing, and skullduggery.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »
This was discussed in detail in a couple of topics, but I haven't been able to locate the threads yet, so this may sound familiar.

The level of the NPC isn't as relevant as the number of NPCs vs. number of PCs.  In one thread, a GM sent a pack of 10 level 1 rats at two PCs and the PCs lost.  While the rats had low HP and DB, the PCs were still faced with (at best) 5 attacks per round with the ability to parry vs. 2 attacks.  That left 3 more attacks with no DB (other than magical) at each PC.

The important question is the number of PCs in the party, as Majyk mentions.  What are the PCs' OBs and DBs and HP?  I routinely send 1-2 level 4-5 NPCs against my group of level 1 PCs.   I'll have 4 - 6 PCs per gaming session.  This gives the NPC some lasting power, but enough OB to force one PC to parry.  The other players position themselves for flank and back attacks to gain bonuses to their decent OBs.  The NPC level allows for decent spells if I send a spell user, or decent HP for a fighter-type to absorb some blows from several attacks.

If the party is facing a boss or mini boss, I make spell casters at least level 7 so they can get off a spell per round and I'll give them a couple of underlings as cannon fodder.  If it's a fighter-type, level 7 with a level 4-5 underling will give very nice OBs and force at least two players to parry and it will make positioning all the more important.   

If you have a party of 7 PCs, two level 5 Orcs/Thugs should be fine.  Three PCs per orc while the spell caster stays back from melee to prep/cast spells.  At least one PC will get a Flank or Back attack bonus.  Or send 3-4 level 2 orcs/thugs.  These numbers only work if your players work well together.  If everyone goes off on their own trying to do their own thing, they'll be toast.

Take a look at the lowest and highest melee/ranged OB from the players. Get an idea of the level of damage they can dish out and give the NPCs an OB in the range of the 2nd and 3rd highest PC OB.

If you are sending lower level NPCs, give them stats very similar to the PCs' stats.  The PCs are a good indication of what level 1 NPCs would look like.

For the spell users, give them a chance to see that a battle is about to happen so they can start prepping their spells before combat starts and they can cast a spell in round 1 of combat.

Give them smaller situations leading up to your essential scenes.  A random encounter with a wild animal is a good object lesson.  Give a low OB and higher DB and decent HP for the animal.  The DB is too high for a single PC to hit and it won't dish out a lot of damage to the party, but when a couple of members move to flank the target, they'll see that no DB +15 Flank attack yields nice hits.  Hopefully they'll carry that over to the main combat scenes you have planned.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 12:02:02 PM »
Thanks! I remember the rat thread, too. I also can't find it.

I'll wait until we've made the characters and I know their OB/DB splits. I also like the idea of a wild animal encounter, but by the time they're outside of the city they should have at least 2 combats under their belts. One with generic thugs and one with spel lcasters in the mix.