Author Topic: Looking for a specific spell  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Looking for a specific spell
« on: May 17, 2019, 05:46:16 AM »
One of my players wants a spell similar to this description.

For the fifth spell, I'd like to try something rather different. A spell mastery version of the highest healer concussion or critical hit transfer spell, but changed so it will allow her to transfer the hits to a foe. (with a resistance roll, of course) If possible the spell would transfer all concussion and critical damage to another. Perhaps some sort of hybrid blending of the Nightblade's Mountain Heart spell with a high-level healer spell. Is this possible, or will she need to select something else?

Nightblade's Mountain Heart spell:
5 — MOUNTAIN HEART I (D*S) For the duration of the spell, the caster
may ignore the effects of any 1 wound which either only causes him additional hits, stun, stunned/unable to parry, or a percentage subtraction from his abilities. At the end of the duration, all hits, penalties, and stun rounds take effect normally.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Looking for a specific spell
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 08:03:00 AM »
This would be high high level magic. Not only are you turning healing into damage (U/H spells into F/E) but also you are combining in a single spell what a Healer would need several spells (and rounds) to achieve.

Two things come to mind:
  • The gauntlet of the Vengeful Healer: this is an item in RMCIII that allows reversing Healer spells. It's power level is listed as Artifact, although it has some extra features
  • Arcane magic: there's a spell in RMFRP, and I'm sure there's an equivalent in RMC, called Spell Typing. With that, a Healer could potentially use transfer to affect an unwilling target, and you could combine that with a Spell Mastery (I would rule at least -50) to change the spell so that it transfers in reverse

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »
Yup, high magic.

I've found Spell Typing in RMSS Arcane Companion; RMFRP Of Mentalism; and RM2 Open Mentalism.

18. Spell Typing — As Power Typing, except exact spell type
is known for every spell thrown in the area.
10-Power Typing (P) As Detect Mentalism,
except it analyzes general spell type (in item or
cast) and what profession castor created it; or in
the case of a person it gives the person's profession.
1 -Detect Mentalism (P) D: 1 min/lvl (C) R: 50'
Detects any active spell or item from the Mentalism
realm; caster can concentrate on a 5'R
area each round.

Is this what you meant, Voriig?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
No, wrong list. Those just obtain information about a spell that's been cast. Look at the Spell Shaping list on page 72.

Spell Typing: "The caster may change the type of any spell he casts to any other type of spell (except for type I). For example, he can make a Force spell (type F), into a Passive spell (type P). The caster cannot add or subtract the sub-types of spells (subconscious or mental). Note that changing the spell type simply changes the ways RRs are made (and which column of the Spell Failure Table is used); it does not change the nature of the spell -- a Sleep spell changed to an Elemental type would mean that the targets do not get an RR."

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
Page 72 of which book, Dale?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:38:14 AM »