Author Topic: Making HP/PP recovery Stat or Skill based vs a given after resting  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Just lucidly thinking about our favourite RPG system, Rolemaster, and adding in some crunch.
This can especially be used for those developing a setting where a magical calamity or event has occurred, affecting all spellusers.
That or for a Shadow World Essænce Storm that has passed through an area and you wanna spice things up!

For the Channeling magic using professions, Channeling skill is a thing that all Channeling Realm magic users are expected to develop each level up, so they can draw upon their Divine Entity’s holy might to fuel their own spells(even having IN-Stat based Power Points isn’t enough it’s said as they technically only come from one’s “God”).
RM Channeling Players, please don’t hate me:
How many GMs keep tabs on making sure their Channeling-based PCs are taking at least a single Channeling skill rank per level, if not more for Pure or Hybrid Spell Users?! 
Not many, I’d bet, just like me.

In thinking about this, it is also kind of unfair for Essence or Mentalism Spell Users not to need a similar mechanic or at least to make something mean more to these spellslingers, too...

Apologies to all other Realm spellslingers:
So, in musing about this I thought about adding the following complexity to resting and recovery of Power Points - and subsequently Hit Points - for those GMs now wanting to character sheet audit all of their Channeling Players, LOL!

New Uses for Old Skills

To even out the playing field, one can ask Essence users to develop Attunement, each or every second level, as they draw upon the energies of their environs to coax their PPs into existence.
The same idea for Mentalism users with, say, Meditation as they need a calm mind to tap their own Vulcan/Jedi ways.

Most times, these skills end up costing a single Development Point for a single rank, so it wouldn’t be a horrible drain. 
The payoff is why characters would want to be dutiful in maintaining a constant rank/level expenditure(or more).
PP Recovery.

PCs in such a world where magic has been rent asunder have to fight with magical energies to come to their beck and call, and this is seen as a percentage chance based on the difference between however many ranks per level the GM decides is needed to regain 100% of one’s PPs after a night’s rest, and how many the PC developed.
If a threshold of 1 rank per level of the aforementioned skills is decided upon, do the math ahead of time and pre-calc however many Total PPs can be regained, also based on whatever other rules for Resting/Sleeping/Guarding you may use.

If wanting to crunch it up even more, make the Player roll on a Static Maneuver table, hoping to achieve a 111+(101+ for RM2/RMC) result.  Make it easier using the Movement Maneuver table where one can gain a percentage amount based on sub-111/101+ results.
Is the “Good” Channeler near a holy site? Roll on the Easy column.
Is the same Channeler evil, instead? Roll on the Very Hard one.
Essence users near a Leyline or Bloodnode? Same difficulties or whatever you, as a GM, choose.

Hit Points can be the same using Body Development.
Landlubber on the high seas?  Sorry, you’re puking all day(after maybe a Poison-based or CON RR).

If not wanting to make this DP punitive, one can base recovery upon stats instead, using the Temporary stats themselves as the % chance of recovery.
If wanting to take Race Boni into account, take the Total Bonus as a modifier, instead, or cross index the Total Bonus into whatever Temporary Stat one would need to achieve such a bonus(This is what I used to do to allow PCs the use of RMCIIIs “Stats Over 101+“ Abilities).

Anyway, enough brain spewage at 4 in the morning!
Do you or have you ever used something similar?  What did it look like?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Making HP/PP recovery Stat or Skill based vs a given after resting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
I've never used it, but I very much like the idea (in RMU at least) of making a realm-appropriate skill the skill for PP Development in that realm. I had thought Channelng for Channelers, Mental Discipline for Mentalists, and Power Projection for Essence-users. But Meditation is not bad for Mentalists either, and Attunement makes sense for Essence users too.

I'm not sure I would require separate skills for PP recovery, as development and recovery could all fall under one skill. But I do kind of like the idea of using that same skill to make a roll to recover PP -- in the same way that characters make a Body Development roll to recover from injuries.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
For the Channeling magic using professions, Channeling skill is a thing that all Channeling Realm magic users are expected to develop each level up, so they can draw upon their Divine Entity’s holy might to fuel their own spells
It is? RM2, RoCo. II, p26, Channeling skill description: "This is the skill of transmitting and receiving power between two willing individuals over any distance, provided that contact can be made.
(...)
It is important to note that the spells a "Channeling" spell user, (e.g., Clerics, Animist, Healer, etc.) acquires normally through worship and the use of intrinsic power points (although the entire realm is termed "Channeling") are NOT subject to this rule. Similarly, the acquisition of Channeling skill will not allow others to gain a "Channeling" spell user's intrinsic spell ability. This skill applies to extraordinary channeling."

Oh, I think it is not. The idea may still be an interesting one, but it's not the way the skill works.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
I agree with OLF here.  Channelers are not "expected" to invest in Channeling, at least not in RM2 and that's not what Channeling is used for.  What you offer is a cool concept though.  I 've never liked that everyone, regardless of CO stat or bonus recovers 3HP per hour at rest.  What about the less CO oriented players?  Wouldn't weaker or less-hearty individuals take longer to heal?  That same concept could apply to spell users.  Why would every spell user recover all PP at the same rate? 

I wouldn't go as far as making it a Skill based advantage, but having recovery rates of HP and PP tied to stats would be a cool idea to use.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
I agree with OLF here.  Channelers are not "expected" to invest in Channeling, at least not in RM2 and that's not what Channeling is used for.  What you offer is a cool concept though.  I 've never liked that everyone, regardless of CO stat or bonus recovers 3HP per hour at rest.  What about the less CO oriented players?  Wouldn't weaker or less-hearty individuals take longer to heal?  That same concept could apply to spell users.  Why would every spell user recover all PP at the same rate? 

I wouldn't go as far as making it a Skill based advantage, but having recovery rates of HP and PP tied to stats would be a cool idea to use.

Is that right? I though all healthy human beings healed at the same rate given similar conditions such as food and rest.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »

Is that right? I though all healthy human beings healed at the same rate given similar conditions such as food and rest.

In RM they heal at the same rate.  Some races are heartier than others though.  I would say they would heal faster than less hearty races.  I would argue that humans are the baseline and Dwarfs and Elves should heal faster, maybe 4HP per hour.  Goblins, maybe 2HP per hour.  It's another level of detail that could be added to the game.

Sickly people with a weaker constitution (the stat and the physical well-being) should take a little longer to heal.  It's so in real life.    To your point... healthy people don't need to heal... they are already healthy. LOL

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
What you offer is a cool concept though.  I 've never liked that everyone, regardless of CO stat or bonus recovers 3HP per hour at rest.  What about the less CO oriented players?  Wouldn't weaker or less-hearty individuals take longer to heal?  That same concept could apply to spell users.  Why would every spell user recover all PP at the same rate? 

Then you're going to love RMU, because PP recovery is tied to a character's ranks in PP Development, and Hit Point recovery is tied to ranks in Body Development (I just had to point that out, in light of your recent rant against RMU; maybe they are doing some things right!  ;) ).

As to Peter's question of whether it is realistic for some people to recover more quickly: I would like to see a scientific study, as I really have no idea. What I can say is that in practice, some athletes do seem to recover more quickly than others. The hockey player Max Pacioretty, for example, earned the nickname 'The Wolverine' because he seemed always to come back earlier than the doctors expected. Whether that was because he really healed more quickly, or he just had a higher tolerance for playing through injuries, I don't really know:

https://thehockeywriters.com/is-montreal-canadiens-forward-max-pacioretty-a-superhero/

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »
It is? RM2, RoCo. II, p26, Channeling skill description: "This is the skill of transmitting and receiving power between two willing individuals over any distance, provided that contact can be made.
(...)
It is important to note that the spells a "Channeling" spell user, (e.g., Clerics, Animist, Healer, etc.) acquires normally through worship and the use of intrinsic power points (although the entire realm is termed "Channeling") are NOT subject to this rule. Similarly, the acquisition of Channeling skill will not allow others to gain a "Channeling" spell user's intrinsic spell ability. This skill applies to extraordinary channeling."

Oh, I think it is not. The idea may still be an interesting one, but it's not the way the skill works.

Well that *is* interesting.  Thanx for the exact citation from RoCoII, also.
I think I found a new Mandella Effect, LOL!

I swear I read somewhere about how Gods always had 100% Channeling ability - because they’re Gods - and that peasant spell users received the exact amount needed from them, no matter their skill, because the Gods knew to send exactly enough of an overage to account for measly PC skill ranks developed.
Now I need to go back and learn where that was.  Shadow World, mebbe?

PS:  nice hockey reference, Hurin.  Doubly so for the Wolverine one, too!

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »

Sickly people with a weaker constitution (the stat and the physical well-being) should take a little longer to heal.  It's so in real life.    To your point... healthy people don't need to heal... they are already healthy. LOL

A character with a Co of 26 is no less healthy or sickly than one with a Co of 74. If they take the same wound there is no reason why the low Co character should take longer to heal.

Assuming the wound delivered 10 hits and slashed a muscle giving a -10 penalty...

Let us take this one step further; if the low Co character was 15th level and had racial max hits and the higher Co character was 1st level and had 25 hits. Which is the more grievously wounded?

Would the low Co character still be expected to heal slower?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »

A character with a Co of 26 is no less healthy or sickly than one with a Co of 74. If they take the same wound there is no reason why the low Co character should take longer to heal.

Assuming the wound delivered 10 hits and slashed a muscle giving a -10 penalty...

Let us take this one step further; if the low Co character was 15th level and had racial max hits and the higher Co character was 1st level and had 25 hits. Which is the more grievously wounded?

Would the low Co character still be expected to heal slower?

Yes.  Exactly.  Lower Con = lower restorative rate.   We're not talking severity of wounds, simply the amount of time for that wound, any wound, to heal.  Obviously more severe wounds naturally take longer to heal than a minor.

Take me for example.  I used to have "normal" healing rate.  But due to the medication that I take, my immune system is suppressed.  It now takes me a far longer time to heal.  A cut that took 1 day or 2 to heal up and not need a Band-Aid, takes nearly a week before I can go without a Band-Aid, the wound simply keeps opening up.

That's not the same as my stamina recovering.  I'm still a firefighter and Martial Artist, so I recover from stamina and can last longer, but my physical damage, especially from sparring and fighting, I feel for a couple of days.  Old age is not kind.

My daughter's immune system is lower and she gets sick more easily, heals more slowly, responds much more slowly to meds.   Low Constitution.  My son's broken bones take longer to heal too.  The cast stays on longer than normal and therapy takes longer.  He needs to stop skiing because he's not that good at it.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »
I just don't see the world that way. In game terms we could say your meds=suppressed immune system=slower healing. That I could understand. You seem to be saying that you gave a low Co stat for healing purposes but a high Co stat for profession and MA purposes.

I think you have a high Co and it is the meds slowing your healing.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
I just don't see the world that way. In game terms we could say your meds=suppressed immune system=slower healing. That I could understand. You seem to be saying that you gave a low Co stat for healing purposes but a high Co stat for profession and MA purposes.

I think you have a high Co and it is the meds slowing your healing.

Take it a step further using Identical Twins.
From everything read, there is always a “sickly twin” even though they are exact duplicates, otherwise.

This is kind of where one could show Racial Boni(Race/Culture) being an equalizer.
CON 30 in a Halfling is much different than CON 30 in a Human.

I agree that mechanically, the CON 20 person at 15th lvl should heal slower than the CON 74 one @ 1st lvl, though, too, but I always GMd with Stats being important.
In Spectre’s example, he has high Exhaustion points from training and work but a low CON.