Author Topic: Dungeon Musings Rolemaster podcast episode.  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Dungeon Musings Rolemaster podcast episode.
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:29:55 AM »
https://anchor.fm/dungeonmusings/episodes/Wrestling-with-Rolemaster-e2njfi
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dungeon Musings Rolemaster podcast episode.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
Yup
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
For those of you who didn't listen to it, his point is essentially that he originally thought Jaiman was an introductory module, but he later came to question this because so many of the creatures in the world were so high-level. He wonders if the creators of Jaiman really intended players to start much higher than level 1 (say level 10), because otherwise they can't do much.

I think that there was some acknowledgement by ICE designers that RM lacked good, low-level starter areas. I think later editions of the Master Atlas introduced the Bay of Izar as a starter area for example; I also used Quellbourne for the same purpose; and this is one of the reasons I like the Green Gryphon Inn too. So while I think the podcaster has a legitimate point, I also think it is one that was to some extent acknowledged in later material.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
This is something I tried to address in Nomads of the Nine Nations. I won't say they were great adventures - and the adventures ICE allowed me to include had to be pretty brief. But I did specifically aim at least one or two of the adventures for lower level characters.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
I'd certainly agree that the podcasters view is valid based on a snap shot of Jaiman.  I agree with most of his observations.  Being an RMXer that was one of the things I appreciated about that version of RM: the game was playable from levels 1-10 and all of the monsters etc included were scaled accordingly.  I did like how he addressed the "complexity" issue too, and maybe actually got to the real issue with complexity.  If a GM wants to run a RM game a player might look at the system and be willing to make a Level 1 character, but, if the material is only really playable at Level 8-10 then you are asking too much of the players.  I think that is the heart of that debate.  I am a low-level GM at heart.  I am out of my depth with long campaigns and powerful NPCs, but, I whole heart-idly make my players search for herbs in a rainstorm at night while being pecked by Crebain.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
Lol, I am right with you; I am a total low level GM. I can't remember the last time my group got past level 10.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »
I have always believed RM is actually better suited to low-level gaming than high level gaming.  I guess that is why I never really cared about the disparity between the NPCs and players in SW modules.  There was never an intention to use those NPCs unless they were manipulating the PCs somehow.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »
Awesome. enjoying listening to chapter on Sandbox vs Scripted sessions.