Author Topic: Looking for ideas for new spells for evil cleric  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Looking for ideas for new spells for evil cleric
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
Greetings, All,
I always like to consult the hive mind for new ideas, so that my campaign world doesn't get too predictable or locked in on my own imagination. Right now, I'm fleshing out the dominant evil religion in my world, and making a spell list specific to those clerics. The god's domain is deceit, destruction, and corruption - the last one in the sense of taking something and corrupting it into a mockery or abomination of what it was originally. He took elves and humans and corrupted them to create the orcs, goblins, trolls, etc. (yeah, I know not that original) and he later made demons in mockery of the angels of the good gods.

The spell list I'm making for his clerics focuses on targeting single individuals with disruption or chaos or deceptions of various sorts. For one example, there's a spell that imposes a -20 on any skill using EMpathy or INtuition bonuses, representing the target's connection with the world around them being disrupted. Another spell borrows from the Flesh Destruction sorceror list, and allows the caster to destroy/disrupt the target's eye, ear, stomach, or one lung.
What ideas do you have for spells to fill in this list?
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Looking for ideas for new spells for evil cleric
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:54:21 PM »
Using your own idea, a -20 to agility to represent the nerves in fingertips being destroyed. You could have a Touch Disruption I give a -10 penalty, Touch Disruption II give -20 and build that up to a Touch Disruption True to fill your list some more.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Using your own idea, a -20 to agility to represent the nerves in fingertips being destroyed. You could have a Touch Disruption I give a -10 penalty, Touch Disruption II give -20 and build that up to a Touch Disruption True to fill your list some more.
Great minds...The example I gave is the first of 3 similar spells. The next applies the penalty to EM, IM, SD, and PR. The third is a -25 on all rolls using ST, QU, or AG. And while not the same "touch" of disruption you propose, I do have the sorceror Touch of Disruption, etc. on this list.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »
Could you incorporate the Chaos Chart (from RoCoIII's Chaotic Lord Base Lists)?  Perhaps you could have a list that delivers effects similar to those found on the Gæs portion of the Chaos Chart.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
Could you incorporate the Chaos Chart (from RoCoIII's Chaotic Lord Base Lists)?  Perhaps you could have a list that delivers effects similar to those found on the Gæs portion of the Chaos Chart.

Nightblade ->--
I'm actually using those lists heavily for the (un)holy fighters of this deity. They are more melee-oriented, while the priests are more spell-oriented. But I'm toying with using the Physical Alteration Table for some of these cleric attacks. The difficulty is whether, or how, to apply the "% change" elements of those results.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
That's where the Chaos Table might come in handy.  You could use the Chaos Table's Anatomy Chart (p. 52 RoCoIII) to determine the location of the Physical Alteration and severity could be based on the level of the spell (lowest level does an "A" Physical Alteration Crit; highest level one does an "E").

I could also see a list that has a spell whose effects are determined by rolling on the Gæs Chart (p.51-52 RoCoIII).  Spell description could be something like:

Caster unleashes chaotic energies that influence the target. Make a roll on the Gæs Chart (p.51-52 RoCoIII) and apply the results to the target.

Nightblade ->--

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 10:48:21 PM »
If you're able to find it, the long-lost city vault had the "Innocence Lost" spell list.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:17:20 PM »
That's where the Chaos Table might come in handy.  You could use the Chaos Table's Anatomy Chart (p. 52 RoCoIII) to determine the location of the Physical Alteration and severity could be based on the level of the spell (lowest level does an "A" Physical Alteration Crit; highest level one does an "E").

I could also see a list that has a spell whose effects are determined by rolling on the Gæs Chart (p.51-52 RoCoIII).  Spell description could be something like:

Caster unleashes chaotic energies that influence the target. Make a roll on the Gæs Chart (p.51-52 RoCoIII) and apply the results to the target.

Nightblade ->--

I was playing with the Physical Alteration table, and ran into a quandary. I'm not sure why, but the "% change" for a given roll is greater for an A crit than for an E. It would seem it should be the reverse, so if anyone knows why it's this way, I'm curious. For what I was going to do (an attack that produces physical alteration via crits), it should be a greater % change when it's a higher level crit and a higher roll. So I guess I may have to modify the whole chart :\

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »

Nightblade ->--

I was playing with the Physical Alteration table, and ran into a quandary. I'm not sure why, but the "% change" for a given roll is greater for an A crit than for an E. It would seem it should be the reverse, so if anyone knows why it's this way, I'm curious. For what I was going to do (an attack that produces physical alteration via crits), it should be a greater % change when it's a higher level crit and a higher roll. So I guess I may have to modify the whole chart :\
Because the Physical Alteration table is for changes that go all the way to completion. If you're taking A crits, you'll finish transforming and stop taking crits sooner, IIRC. Mostly for Warlocks giving their posse upgrades. When used in attacks, I think you just ignored % change crit results.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
I've got my draft form of this spell list put together. There are a couple of entries I'm not super happy with (the relationship between the 6th, 7th, and 11th level spells primarily) but I thought that since you all provided helpful input, you might find the results interesting. Feedback still welcome!