Author Topic: New products and your wishes for the future  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New products and your wishes for the future
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:15 PM »
That shouldn't be too hard. I'll try to add something like that in the short term.

Thank you, that will really help a lot.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 10:59:11 PM »
How about a section under the Adventuring module that allows the use of random encounter tables similar to those in gamemaster law. I'm thinking a popup something like the static maneuver tables, but for random encounters.

This could be used to generate random monster encounters, city encounters, etc..
Mmmhhhh, ok, I'll think about it. But I think this kind of feature would be more on the long term part of the ToDo list...

Do you think you could link the CGI version of Inspiration Pad Pro? http://forum.nbos.com/discussion/835/inspiration-pad-pro-3-0-cgi-executables#latest   Have to check with them for permission, but if it's possible and ok, you get a lot of extra functionality here for little work.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 10:09:18 PM »
Do you think you could link the CGI version of Inspiration Pad Pro? http://forum.nbos.com/discussion/835/inspiration-pad-pro-3-0-cgi-executables#latest   Have to check with them for permission, but if it's possible and ok, you get a lot of extra functionality here for little work.

I will look into it. It's been some busy weeks and I haven't been able to progress as much as I intended with the new features.

What would it mean to link with Inspiration Pad Pro? How do you imagine a GM or a player using it in ERA?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
I'm just thinking that it would serve as the engine for a set of table lookups. Probably open a window, select a table to roll on, get some results. Existing tables for IPP include random names, encounters, treasure, weather, etc. It would be up to the GM to decide what to do with the result. But the tables are easy to create and modify, and can be much more elaborate than a simple table you roll on.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
But if that application already includes the user interface to create the tables and get the results, what would it imply to "connect it" with ERA?
I thought it would include some sort of character information that could be used to interpret an NPC to be added in an ongoing adventure. If it doesn't involve RM mechanics, I don't see what benefit the GM would get.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
Ages ago I found a copy of a magazine that had an entire section devoted to horses and their abilities, quirks, and stats. Something like this would be a great add.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »
IPP would just be a way of handling all types of random tables. I'm not suggesting it would be linked in the sense of creating characters with stats already entered, just a tool for the GM.

For example to Mordrig's request about horses, there's an existing generator for IPP http://forum.nbos.com/discussion/1111/horse-descriptions#latest that gives a result like:
This horse is a very dark brown mare with lighter brown highlights on the muzzle, the flanks and inside the legs and black mane and tail. She is 24 hands (8'0") at the shoulder and 1070 lbs. She is a bit treacherous and does not respect handlers or riders. She may bite and kick unexpectedly.

So for these unique requests that don't relate to the core functionality of ERA, you could put them at the fingertips of ERA's users without needing to do any particular work per table.

You could do the same for encounter tables as an easy way to handle them. For random encounters, you could instead do something more elaborate in which it automatically loads the appropriate NPCs/monsters for the encounter, which would certainly be useful, but I don't know whether it's something you want to dedicate the time to.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
One option might be to implement IPP conpatability & then link to NBOS' forums & Vault for IPP tables as well as have the community submit them here in the ICE Vault & on the forum.  I personally love IPP & have only started to dabble with creating my own IPP tables.  In fact, I made one that creates random coins based on RMU Treasure Law's Coin Generation Tables.  Things like that (& the other tables jDale has suggested) are where IPP shines.

Nightblade ->--

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »
I'll second the request for images for the creatures from the creatures module.
I would also like to see the option for variable stat bonus based on skill implemented for RMSS/FRP as listed in A-9.2(RMSS) since I really don't have the time to edit all the skills xml files myself.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
I will add a few more things after playing with the program over Christmas.

• The option to display the name under the chip for both sides. - It would be nice to know which npc is which without having to mouse over to get the tooltip.
  • A type filter for selecting creature templates. ie instead of just typing a name to bring up creatures with that name, select "flying monsters" or "reptiles" to select from all the creatures in that section of C&M
  • An environment filter for selecting creature templates. ie instead of just typing a name to bring up creatures with that name, select "tundra" or "desert" to select from all the creatures living in that environment from C&M
  • the critical results to autofill the section that applies to the target instead of having to transfer rounds stun, bleeding etc from the crit text to the section at the bottom of the box before accepting the results
  • The ability to manually enter a new character without going through the level-up process. for example, select new character - existing character, then enter name, level, race, prof, stats, etc on the char sheet page.
  • If you choose the missile attack option, the skills at the top of the select widget should be the thrown and missile categories. Likewise, when you choose the attack option, the other weapon categories should be at the top(plus the default should be whatever the most picked or favorite for the attack type is - melee or missile.
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
I forgot to add:

A selector for the level adjustment to the creature template from C&M. That way you could select a creature and either randomly or by selection change the level and stats of the creature as described in C&M sections 2.2, 2.4, and 2.5
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »
Wow, thanks for all those requests. They could really improve the usability of the creature features.
I'll make sure to start adding them in future version as the time allows.
Keep those ideas coming, these thread has been a good source of inspiration for the previous versions already.

Offline Tribulation

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
Hi,

In December I got this product for RMC along with many of the optional modules and have been learning to add in all the skills from RMC II the custom professions my players want like Force Mage and Trader.  The templates you have provided are very useful for that.

However, in the Adventuring module I do not see a way for Creatures or NPCs to perform moving maneuvers (against the appropriate tables) so that it can be worked in sequence using the initiative process.  It would be great to be able to store a set of skills and bonuses for NPC's and Creatures the way you do for attacks that can then be resolved on the maneuver tables. A simple, but useful alternative might be to just pop the Maneuvering screen with all the maneuver tables in the drop down and a "concept" text box (or just offer the complete list of skills from the config file) and a temporary + input box for the bonus before the dice roll.  That would allow the adventure process to all happen onscreen rather than having to switch back to the books for NPC/Creature actions and movement resolution.  It would be nice to have the record added to the log, but not critical.

Thanks

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 06:05:14 AM »
Hmmm, it seems there is no way for NPCs/Creatures to roll for maneuvers.
For the next version, I promise at least to add the available tables, so that you can enter skill+roll in the roll box.

If at all possible, I will also try to add a feature so creature files can specify maneuver skill bonus (it wouldn't affect C&T entries, but it would help with custom creatures)

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 12:18:31 PM »
Adding a spot for the optional Appearance stat would be nice.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2019, 06:30:12 AM »
If you are just going to use it for reference purposes, it could always be added manually to the character notes in the Character Sheet module.

I've found so many rules to compute and use the Appearance stat through the years that no single mechanic would fit the groups using ERA.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »
If you are just going to use it for reference purposes, it could always be added manually to the character notes in the Character Sheet module.

Which is what I do now. It would just be nice to have it on the stat block even if it is just a manual entry.