Author Topic: Original artwork by Angus McBride  (Read 7414 times)

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Original artwork by Angus McBride
« on: March 10, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »
I know it's a hopeless subject to bring up, as many have tried locating them before. As a roleplayer and artist myself, McBride's illustrations for the covers of countless rulebooks and campaign modules were THE major source of inspiration that made me start creating artwork myself. Now decades later, I've been lucky enough to work with game companies as a freelance artist, and on my own projects, creating fantasy artwork for games, books and more. As a huge fan of Middle-earth, I also collect and create replica items from that fictional universe as well as make 2D artwork.

There is however one item missing from my large and ever growing collection though, an original McBride painting. I've spent years looking for one and I've (almost) given up finding one of his original Middle-earth illustrations for sale. I do know the whereabouts for some of his originals, unfortunately none of those are for sale though. Would any of you know of anyone except Terry, who has original Angus McBride Middle-earth paintings for sale?

Offline Tolwen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Original artwork by Angus McBride
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
Hi Raymond,
There is however one item missing from my large and ever growing collection though, an original McBride painting. I've spent years looking for one and I've (almost) given up finding one of his original Middle-earth illustrations for sale. I do know the whereabouts for some of his originals, unfortunately none of those are for sale though. Would any of you know of anyone except Terry, who has original Angus McBride Middle-earth paintings for sale?
I do not know of any item for sale, but you may give Angus' estate a try. They may know something about this. You can find it in Facebook under "Angus McBride". It is run by his widow and - primarily - his daughter. A polite enquiry might bring you some answers :)

Best
Thomas
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
Hi Raymond,
I do not know of any item for sale, but you may give Angus' estate a try. They may know something about this. You can find it in Facebook under "Angus McBride". It is run by his widow and - primarily - his daughter. A polite enquiry might bring you some answers :)

Best
Thomas

Many thanks for the suggestion Thomas, but I'm afraid that lead has already been chased down. I was in contact with his daughter earlier, and she could tell me the family still had a few originals in their posession, but none of the original paintings made for the Rolemaster/Merp books. She posted a photo of colored versions of Galadriel and Arwen, seen as greytone versions in MERP, these were unfortunately not available for purchase.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »
I wish you the best of luck.  I tried for years to find a piece from Mr. McBride, even a signed print.  But to no avail.

-BP

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
I needed to get some "rest for the soul" and set out to make myself high detailed prints based on the versions seen in the "Angus McBride Characters of Middle-earth". I suspect the image versions I found in a French forum are scans from this book. I've now spent some hours cleaning up the files, upsizing the files and preparing them for large prints. These will be for my own collections, the final versions will be approx 50-60cm in any direction, printed on either canvas or heavy grainy paper. I intend to have them professionally framed and later put on display with the rest of my replica collection based on Middle-earth. Seen below are test version printed at home today, on heavy watercolor paper, slightly larger than A3, MERP book in the shots for scale reference. The quest for the Holy grail continues.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
Creating test versions of the framed prints, current frames are 50cm tall x 40cm wide. The final versions will be a bit bigger. Label is custom created, unique for each of the prints.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:03:42 AM »
Nicely done.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
Beautiful!  Wow.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 01:15:17 AM »
Wow, those look fantastic!

Offline Ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
Nice!

Offline Heilemann

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »
Ugh, I wish his ICE-related work was available for purchase. These are beautiful.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
Agreed. Those are excellent. Love his work.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Ecthellion

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I like MERP, big JRR fan
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »
Very nice!
Aure Entuluva! The day shall come again!

Offline mackantheace

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »
Hello!
Very nice, can you upload them or email them?

//Marcus

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »
Other than Arms Law, Companion I’s cover art always stuck with me. Having that as a poster would be the pinnacle of my existence
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 12:00:24 PM »
I thought Riders of Rohan was awesome too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle