Author Topic: MERP Maps  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Prince Finnion

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
MERP Maps
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
Does anyone know if the old MERP fold out maps are available anywhere?  It would be nice if these could be ordered or reprinted.

Offline Eirvit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tower of the Valkyrie
Re: MERP Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:18:49 AM »
I recently began a MERP campaign and had to order the map of Arda from eBay (which I then matted, framed, and placed on the wall of my gaming room). I think the same will be true for all other maps, unless you’re satisfied with printing out whatever you can find floating about as PDF on the Internet. I have been dreaming about reprints myself. Following the model of Fantasy Flight’s plans to reprint the Old School d6 Star Wars system, I’ve been wondering if Cubicle 7 (who appears to hold the current rpg Middle-earth license) and ICE would be interested in collaborating on reprinting all or some of the old MERP stuff!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
There was an entire gazeteer of Middle Earth published by ICE back in the day. Even just publishing that would give us most of the classic 'Fenlonian' maps of ME. And I would definitely be buying it!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »
Given the era it was printed, and the legal issues, I would be amazed if ICE retains digital files in a format that is still usable.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Eirvit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tower of the Valkyrie
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
Given the era it was printed, and the legal issues, I would be amazed if ICE retains digital files in a format that is still usable.

Agreed. But did you see that recent release from Hero Games of ALL its Champions stuff of the 80s and 90s? Those are just scans of hard copies turned into PDFs, and they’re just fine. I think most of us would be plenty okay with that treatment. My main observation is that MERP qualifies as OSR. Indisputably there is interest in it; there might even be money to be made. And there is growing precedence for these kinds of reprints. Besides the plethora of D&D, Traveller, White Wolf — you name it — stuff once again available in PDF, we have Fantasy Flight reprinting d6 Star Wars. We have Cubicle 7 reprinting 1st ed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. Perhaps there also is a market for OSR MERP. I think I might post this suggestion on Cubicle 7’s G+

Edit: which I now have done! :)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
It's not a matter of ICE wanting to publish it, it's a matter of Tolkien Enterprises not allowing it.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Eirvit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tower of the Valkyrie
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
It's not a matter of ICE wanting to publish it, it's a matter of Tolkien Enterprises not allowing it.

I understand that. But do you have information I’m not aware of? What I’m saying is that Cubicle 7 must already have an rpg license and be in good standing with Tolkien Enterprises. Bring ICE on board and clear everything with Tolkien Enterprises. It’s just an idea.

I like it so much that I sent an email to some folks at both Cubicle 7 and ICE. That’s all. We’ll see if anything does — or can — come of it.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
Without going into detail I suspect I do have info you're not aware of.  There's a history there.  Tolkien Enterprises (not to be confused the the Tolkien Estate) aren't exactly the friendliest people to deal with.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Eirvit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Tower of the Valkyrie
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:43 PM »
Without going into detail I suspect I do have info you're not aware of.  There's a history there.  Tolkien Enterprises (not to be confused the the Tolkien Estate) aren't exactly the friendliest people to deal with.

I think I know what you’re talking about. A friend of mine recently shared with me a CCR video, actually, blasting Saul Zaentz. But, again, Cubicle 7 has a license with Enterprises. So, reading between the lines, it seems like you believe that Enterprises, out of some vested interest or plain old ill will, will forbid Cubicle 7 to develop this project. You’re probably right, and any one of these parties need simply say, “No.”

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »
It's possible Cubicle 7 could do something as they hold the license currently, but I'd fall out of my chair if ICE got involved.
- Cory Magel

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
Actually, it is "Middle-Earth Enterprises" now. I would not be shocked to discover that the name change followed a sternly-worded letter from Christopher about not dragging the family name through their mud.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Tolwen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 02:36:20 PM »
I understand that. But do you have information I’m not aware of? What I’m saying is that Cubicle 7 must already have an rpg license and be in good standing with Tolkien Enterprises. Bring ICE on board and clear everything with Tolkien Enterprises. It’s just an idea.
In case you haven't got a reply from C7 yet (I'm sure TE - or nowadays MEE - hasn't replied at all), here is my 2c at it:
Even if there weren't any legal issues involved (beside MEE's own interests there are the numerous license of violations of MERP that aren't tolerated today anymore and present a major legal challenge), I bet that C7 isn't the least interested in such a thing. They have their own games which have already built a sizeable original game canon itself. MERP material would hardly fit to that and any stuff for MERP would possibly affect sales by drawing customers away from C7's games. And beyond economics, the philosophy of the two games is diametrically opposed, making it highly unlikely that anyone from C7 would have any interest in MERP supplements. In addition, the community of C7's games is very focussed on these games and C7 would risk alienating and irritating their most loyal and important supporters by re-publishing any MERP stuff.

Best
Tolwen
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!