Author Topic: Large calibre sniper rifle  (Read 1753 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Large calibre sniper rifle
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »
Hey!

I've been messing around with some military grade gear and weaponry for some of my players.

I have the following idea for a new "base" weapon:

Large calibre sniper rifle
Attack size: Large
Range Increment: 60 metres
Magazine size: 6
Special: Requires one round to load chamber between each shot. -20 penalty to OB if fired standing up and/or without the use of a bipod for support.

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

The idea, which should be obvious, is to have a powerful, long range weapon, that fires slowly and inaccurately unless you've spent time to set up your position and bracing/supporting your weapon.

Keep in mind I play a low-SF setting, energy weapons like lasers and blasters don't (publicly) exist (yet,) so most weapons fire slugs, bullets and the like.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Large calibre sniper rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:27:12 PM »
I believe that should be fine.  In my personal opinion a sniper rifle firing a round large enough to do a large crit wouldn't require a bipod, and could possibly be semi-automatic as well.  So if you wanted to be big and slow and require a bipod then I would bump the crit to huge (at this point it becomes an anti-vehicular sniper rifle like the Barret).

In my bughunters game slug throwers are the bread and butter weapon of the military.  While lasers and blasters and plasma is around, the versatility and reliability of slug throwers makes them the go-to weapon of choice for most situations.

Here is one of the larger caliber assault rifles used in my game.  It is a M-14 analog - basically more of a battle rifle than assault rifle and is often reworked to be used as a sniper rifle. 

M138 Assault Rifle/Battle Rifle

The "old school" weapon of choice for many special forces units throughout Terran space.  Rugged, dependable, and with stopping power to spare, the only critiques of this weapon are its size, recoil and ammunition weight.  The M138 is more accurately a "battle rifle" than assault rifle and its size reflects that.  Even though it has been replaced by newer models, numerous varieties of ammunition is still available for the M138 with splatter and HEAP rounds being the most popular.  The M138 has an under-barrel mounting system for grenade launchers such as the M507, while computer assisted targeting scopes and bi-pods are popular modifications as well.

Avail: R
Cost: 500 sol
Mass 5kg empty 7kg loaded
Att Size: Lg ballistic
Fumble: 01
Burst bonus: 20
Recoil Penalty: -15
Range Increment: 50m
Point Blank Bonus: 20
Point Blank Range: 25m
SS/Burst/Supp RoF: 1/2/9
Shots/magazine: 30 (although 15 round magazine are available reducing loaded weight 1 KG)

The bughunters setting is deliberately slightly high powered on equipment.  The setting assumes the players will be using top of the line equipment to fight terrible horrors of space.  So when I adapted the setting to Harp a lot of the weapons are slightly more powerful than I would use in a more generic campaign.

I do have other weapons from this game written up in the TGC article for it if you want to see them.  I believe it is in the archives somewhere around early 2012.

Please forgive the rough nature of the article - it was the first one I wrote and I still cringe when I read it.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Large calibre sniper rifle
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
Oh, one last point I forgot to mention,  the bughunters setting used Advanced development level for slug throwers, so the crit range is lower than it would be in a more typical Mature setting.

Regards,
-Pyrotech