Author Topic: Gen Con 2016  (Read 7381 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Gen Con 2016
« on: January 14, 2016, 02:43:47 PM »
Who is going this year? I may go, it all depends on finances in the next month (It needs to be planned by then).

Last year ICE said they planned to go. It would be great to meet them and talk a little shop.

So, ICE, are you coming to Gencon this year?
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Gen Con 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
I'm about 95% certain that I'll be going.  I may run an RM game or three this year (didn't run any last year, but did the two prior years).  But depending on timing of any games that anyone else is running I may try to play a few games this year.  The only game I participated in last year was one of your HARP games, which was pretty good.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
I've been saying for years that I'd go, maybe this will be the year.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
I'm about 95% certain that I'll be going.  I may run an RM game or three this year (didn't run any last year, but did the two prior years).  But depending on timing of any games that anyone else is running I may try to play a few games this year.  The only game I participated in last year was one of your HARP games, which was pretty good.

Thanks. My goal in running games is for everyone to have fun over anything else. The story and the game are part of that equation. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I feel like I have failed but most if not all the players mention enjoying the game.
I have found over the years that playing in and running different games gives one a broader perspective on the game. I didn't play in any RM games last year but I did the year before and I really enjoyed both games. Didn't you run one of those RM games that year?

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »

Thanks. My goal in running games is for everyone to have fun over anything else. The story and the game are part of that equation. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I feel like I have failed but most if not all the players mention enjoying the game.
I have found over the years that playing in and running different games gives one a broader perspective on the game. I didn't play in any RM games last year but I did the year before and I really enjoyed both games. Didn't you run one of those RM games that year?

I've been saying for years that I'd go, maybe this will be the year.

If you have never been to Gencon then you are in for a treat. I say this with confidence even if you have been to other cons in the past. Gencon is huge. It is the city of Indianapolis' biggest money maker and only barely falls short of the largest single event ever, that title currently belongs to the superbowl a few years ago, but Gencon gets closer every year and may just surpass it this year.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »

Yup, you had played in one of the games I ran the year before last.  I was thinking that Cory Magel may have been in that game as well (or maybe it was the later game). 

I'm almost tempted to run the second part (first short adventure) to the No Quarter Under the Crown campaign module that I'm writing this year, but would need to provide a modest bit of background (which the characters would learn in the first part (a social interaction encounter might be the best way to describe it, along with some travel)) for its full impact to be understood. 

Bruce, if you go are you planing to run some HARP games again? 

Would also be nice if we can ever pull the ICE fans together like what was done a couple of years ago (unfortunately the people I went down with had to get back early, so I missed it).  It was unfortunate that we were not able to work things out last year with everyone's schedules. 
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
Oh, and while I can't speak for ICE/GCP regarding their attendance, the vendor booth selections for the Entrepreneurs Alley area have not yet been decided/awarded by GenCon.  So I would imagine that they (ICE) are probably waiting to hear if they can even get a booth yet.  Although I think that info should be coming out within the next week or two if memory serves me correctly. 

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 01:53:59 PM »
I will be attending with my wife and a few friends.  I would love to meet anyone involved with ICE and Rolemaster.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
Looks like the company that I'm helping to mange that took up most of my time last GenCon isn't going to ahve any product ready to sell at this GenCon (the other members are not getting the things done quick enough for us to have any products available by then), so I am officially throwing my hat into the ring to run 6 sessions of Rolemaster (RMU) at GenCon.

My current plan is to run three sessions in the evening on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings (from 6:00 or 7:00 pm to around Midnight or 1:00 am, 6 hours total) in which I will be running the Dún Crú module that I wrote for GCP nearly a decade ago, but updated to the RMU rules set.

And another 3 sessions in the morning on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (probably from 9:00 am to 12:00, 3 hours long) of an early part of the "No Quarter Under the Crown" campaign module that I'm currently writing for ICE/GCP, also using the RMU rules set. 

Both sets of adventures will have pre-generated characters for players to choose from, and will be intended both as an intro to the RMU rules systems (if anyone signs up that hasn't played before) and as a way to raise awareness of those two products. 

Times and days are not finalized yet, but that is my current plan and what I'm trying for. 

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »
I was hoping that ICE would have a booth this year but I guess not due to their silence on this thread.
I may or may not be going this year. Money is a real issue so getting a badge is a big factor right now. I am thinking of taking up an offer from a friend to run games for another company. They purchase your GM's badge and everything, but we'll see what happens over the next few months.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »
Actually, after thinking about it I'm not going to be going to GenCon this year, as I need to re-roof my house, which is going to take up 1-2 weeks of vacation time as soon as the snow melts and spring rains let up and is probably going to cost me several thousand.  If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right, as when I had my construction company years ago I was usually appalled by the tick-poor way that many contractors do poor quality work and get away with it.  And with being located in Michigan, where rain and snow is quite frequent a proper roof is an absolute necessity.  So hope everyone enjoys themselves, and I look forward to seeing everyone next year at GenCon's 50th anniversary.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »
Not this year, but a couple friends and I are shooting for 2017. (50th show).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 04:57:04 PM »
Actually, after thinking about it I'm not going to be going to GenCon this year, as I need to re-roof my house, which is going to take up 1-2 weeks of vacation time as soon as the snow melts and spring rains let up and is probably going to cost me several thousand.  If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right, as when I had my construction company years ago I was usually appalled by the tick-poor way that many contractors do poor quality work and get away with it.  And with being located in Michigan, where rain and snow is quite frequent a proper roof is an absolute necessity.  So hope everyone enjoys themselves, and I look forward to seeing everyone next year at GenCon's 50th anniversary.
I hear you on the construction thing. I don't work in construction but have done odd jobs here and there and some workers/businesses just do not care, then they charge you exorbitant prices.

Wait next year is GenCon's 50th anniversary?! Ha, I really need to go because it is also my 50th anniversary. I did not realize GenCon started the year I was born.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:04 PM »
We are going this year and I have a friend that is going next year, so I will whine cry and carry on and try to go next year too.

-BP

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
We are going this year and I have a friend that is going next year, so I will whine cry and carry on and try to go next year too.

-BP

Does whomever you're whinning and crying to support your game habit? Do they also game ICE games with you? If so then relate to them that next year some ICE celebrities will be at GenCon. I am no ICE celebrity, at least not yet. But I will be happy to sign autographs, take pictures, and make an attempt at being a surrogate father, you know for when I do actually become a celebrity, ICE related or not...LOL!

Joking aside, I think  GenCon will be especially huge next year. I can almost bet the prices on everything will go up. Though I think it would be awesome if everyone that was going got together with an ICE (aka Guild Companion) rep or two. That is if we could get ICE to go.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 01:49:40 AM »

Does whomever you're whinning and crying to support your game habit? Do they also game ICE games with you? If so then relate to them that next year some ICE celebrities will be at GenCon. I am no ICE celebrity, at least not yet. But I will be happy to sign autographs, take pictures, and make an attempt at being a surrogate father, you know for when I do actually become a celebrity, ICE related or not...LOL!

Joking aside, I think  GenCon will be especially huge next year. I can almost bet the prices on everything will go up. Though I think it would be awesome if everyone that was going got together with an ICE (aka Guild Companion) rep or two. That is if we could get ICE to go.

Yes, my wife supports my gaming habit.  She is one of the people I am going with this year.  In fact 14 years ago we met at Genghis Con here in Denver.  We have been going back every year since.  And now our four children are attending.  So I might be able to get out there.

My wife is my major play tester (I write and run Savage Worlds at local Cons here.)  and s currently tearing up the project I am hoping to Submit to The Guild Companion.

-B "A Lucky Man" P

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 08:55:22 PM »
My wife and I are going this year and next (for the 50th). After that depends on what we're doing industry-wise afterwards as our hobby fervor is drifting somewhat ...
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »
I'll be there again this year.

Slightly less hectic this year as I'll have one fewer family member in tow.  I'll keep my eyes open for ICE events!

-Pyrotech

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
Wait next year is GenCon's 50th anniversary?! Ha, I really need to go because it is also my 50th anniversary. I did not realize GenCon started the year I was born.
Wait a sec, I must have missed this when you posted it.  50th anniversary of what???
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
I am not sure but next year is listed as their 50th anniversary.
I will also be 50 next year.