Author Topic: Arcane Healing vs Self Healing (with Spatial Skills Major talent)  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
So I have access to both Arcane Healing list and the Self Healing list.
I also have the Spatial Skill Major talent, so I can apply most (all?) of the Self Healing spells on my groupmates.

One question I have is for spells Self Keeping and Self Joining, does the talent allow you to prevent the soul from leaving or attach limbs of groupmates?  The change of range from self to touch would mean you could, but the description states 'caster'.  I would think the former, given the purpose of the talent.

And a broader question.  Which option would be better?  Taking Arcane Healing or Self Healing?  I see that SK has more instant spells.  The Self Keeping spell I believe is subconscious, but the spell details don't say it is.
I could also get the Self Keeping spell from the Sustain Body list, which I am learning now.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Mal

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arcane Healing vs Self Healing (with Spatial Skills Major talent)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:53 PM »
I know it is not a great answer but IMHO it can depend a lot on the GM, some GM's allow spells that have caster as range to be changed but others do not (no matter what the book says).
You might also want to quote book and RM version info as there can be slight variances and I have even seen some games that use one version of the core rules with other versions of Spell Law.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mark.

I assume my GM will have the talent apply to the spells, but will verify before I start leveling.

It seems that Self Healing gets some abilities earlier than Arcane Healing.
I'd lose any ranged healing, but that would hopefully not a big deal.

As for the actual spells, there are some different descriptions, so I wasn't sure if I was missing anything that Arcane Healing did better than Self Healing that really made it a better list.

Mal

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:26:57 AM »
The advantage the Arcane could be the availability of the list. Essence users no not have much access to healing lists.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
Yes that is always the huge advantage IMHO of arcane over other realms, the ability to heal and do good damage. Now if it can be limited to healing (self) or healing (others) that might be a balancing factor the GM wants to keep.
But again there are many types of games out there (most I would find fun) and in some it would work and in others it would not. 
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.