Author Topic: Misc SW material  (Read 46566 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Misc SW material
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2022, 10:01:33 PM »
Regarding that last link, read that last paragraph:
Let’s tie the two together. I.C.E. was founded by young people in college, most in their early 20’s. The growth in RPG players is: overseas, youth and females. Does I.C.E. now need to recruit new, relevant writers to appeal to today’s player demographics? What happens in just the next decade as we all enter our 60’s and even 70’s? Will our writing be relevant or we just existing for the small core of die hards our own age? Who takes over after that? Does ICE sell it’s catalog to a young upstart company or established gaming entity?

Then think about the issues in https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=20451.0

I am afraid I am not bringing down the average age of RM writers (I'm 50 myself).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »
To clarify!

Terry`s world should stay as it is thought. But re-organizing is key, to getting new people into our beloved setting.

New people will want to buy into a setting that is set and easy to start up in. That aint it now in my opinion :/
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 23
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 26

Offline rdanhenry

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2022, 01:42:15 PM »
A setting that's frozen in time and isn't going to get genuinely new material, but only reorganization of old material, probably isn't going to sell very well. There's a very strong Cult of the New in gaming, and for "old school" settings for the nostalgia crowd, there's too many better-known worlds out there. A Shadow World that sticks strictly to Terry's canon and doesn't continue to grow beyond it isn't going to bring people into Rolemaster.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Vladimir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2022, 03:42:26 PM »
A setting that's frozen in time and isn't going to get genuinely new material, but only reorganization of old material, probably isn't going to sell very well. There's a very strong Cult of the New in gaming, and for "old school" settings for the nostalgia crowd, there's too many better-known worlds out there. A Shadow World that sticks strictly to Terry's canon and doesn't continue to grow beyond it isn't going to bring people into Rolemaster.
  My current GM decided to transfer all the characters in his current MERP campaign to SW. I've glanced at the SW material but it's all new to me and opens a world not constrained by a timeline that all the players are familiar with.
  There are benefits and liabilities to a universal timeline. A GM could schedule events like wars and royal successions while (as I've seen in the past) players can take advantage of knowledge of future events, such as actively preparing for them.
  SW opens up new possibilities to me as it is as new to me today as it would have been if I had played it when it was first published. In that respect, some gaming elements are timeless and so far as I've read, SW is one of them. I wish I had discovered SW years ago.

There is a company that makes cell phones (which shall remain nameless) that releases a new one every year with enough cosmetic changes to attract new buyers without actually improving their product. They have made a huge profit on repackaging the same product every year. While I don't recommend copying that marketing technique, it does work in practice. There are worse business models, like rewriting (censored) rules ever few months just to sell a line of (censored) miniatures...               
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2022, 08:25:07 PM »
My group would use:
- More detailed descriptions of the other continents, especially as they related between them (is there a portal from A to B? are the tribes in C descendant from settlers from D?)
- Some adventure ideas, and also hooks for higher level adventures
- Detailed cultures to be used as PCs when playing in those continents
- Retconning or errata documents unifying the ideas in the old books, since some are contradictory (I know the blog has some ideas about that, but an official account on how it all ties together would be good for new players and GMs)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #445 on: January 10, 2022, 11:54:15 PM »

- Detailed cultures to be used as PCs when playing in those continents

Yes, I'd even like more cultural summaries for just the basic races in RMU for example. Those old 'Cultural Summaries' that we see in the old Shadow World books were very helpful for my players, but there are many races that never got them (e.g. Avinarc, Idiyva, Sibbicai, Sstoi, Vulfen), and the ones that do exist are scattered across assorted SW publications. Having a collection of cultural summaries for each playable race would really help roleplaying.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
Spell List Reference
« Reply #446 on: January 12, 2022, 08:29:55 AM »
I listed out all of the lists and links to expedite searches in the future.

https://www.rolemasterblog.com/master-spell-list-reference/
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #447 on: January 12, 2022, 10:40:32 PM »
Thank you for that link!